+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What does one consider to be the best sounding tonearm

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

My SME V has been fettled by Johnny and has the Kondo silver wire and is without a doubt the best arm I've ever owned or used.
    It sounds dynamic, big and bold, wonderfully open with stunning bass.

Just recently bought a Hana SL cartridge and am very happy with this, marvellous.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Mike.

I've recently heard from a reputable source that SME may in fact be in some difficulty due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the fear is the company may not survive!!

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Nari.

I heard that sme have got rid of some of the workforce and downscaled operations as they are not doing any other engineering work any more.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Nari.

I heard the top SAT arm yesterday it sounded breathtaking the scale and power was breathtaking at 50k it should be good. On the other hand many overpriced bits of hifi do not deliver the goods.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm John.

I heard it through the grapevine
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm martin.

Since I got into Hi-Fi back in 1978 when I bought the Linn LP 12 I’ve had several arms and cartridges.

Tonearms. Cartridges
    SME 3009 / 2. Shure V15 / 111
    Hadcock. London Decca Gold
    Grace 707 Supex 900E
    Ittok LV11 ( 3 of ). Asak, Asak T, Karma ( 3 of ), Dynavector DV20L
    Aro Dynavector DV20L, Micro Benz Wood SL, Kiseki Blue NS

I was fortunate enough to a buy one of the last Aro’s In 2003 or 4. At that time I had the Ittok / DV20L the move over to the Aro was definitely a step up. The Aro for me is the tone arm for my turntable system but all depends what cartridge you have compliance is everything.

Regards,

Martin

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    I heard the top SAT arm yesterday it sounded breathtaking the scale and power was breathtaking at 50k it should be good. On the other hand many overpriced bits of hifi do not deliver the goods.
    What is the SAT arm and what cartridge was being used?

Barry

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Michael Fremer uses a SAT arm, the best he's heard, a snip at £30,000 though he got a discount.
    It looks very well made, Fremer describes it's performance as impossible? Whatever that means.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Is this the arm? SAT - Swedish Analogue Technologies:

Looks very well engineered - up to SME standard. The price is of course absurd.
    Barry

I'm Nari.

The Version I heard is a update on the one you pictured that's the original sat I owned one briefly quite a bit of kit. The Cartridge was an Etsuro Master Gold 22k on a techies airforce one premium.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast