+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What does one consider to be the best sounding tonearm

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I have to confess the SME V is the only arm I might want to buy, but with SME now refusing to service them, or to sell any spare parts, the idea is rapidly receding.
    Barry

I'm Alex.

I didn’t realise that they refuse to service them or sell spares. That can’t do them any favours with turntable sales.

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by alcarmichael View Post
    I quite scarily agreed to buy an SME 10 with the 309 tonearm after never hearing any of the ‘boring/cold/dry’ magnesium SME variants. I have put on a Killian Bakker re-tipped Cadenza Bronze and all I hear is warm, beautiful music. I think I will soon be listing my Origin Live Illustrious. The fact that the SME is an absolute joy to set up is a complete bonus.
    I have to agree Sme decks have a lot to offer especially in terms of easy to set up and a joy to use every day total fuss free ownership.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

This is the official announcement of SME Tonearm sales ending. However it does state servicing and support continues.

SME will exit the tonearm retail and OEM business with immediate effect shifting our focus on our core turntable and tonearm combination business. The decision to leave the tonearm business was not taken lightly, especially as we have played a key role in the design and development of the world’s best tonearms. The growth of our turntable business and commitment to higher production levels means that we cannot continue both streams.

SME has designed, engineered and manufactured tonearms for retail and OEM sales since 1959 and achieved international recognition as makers of the best pick-up arms in the world. This tradition of tonearm manufacturing will continue with the manufacture of our highly accredited tonearms for the purpose of coupling with our comprehensive range of high-end precision turntables in which SME will be expanding in 2020.

Whilst no new orders for individual tonearms will be accepted from the issue date of this product announcement, all obligations of the warranty will be honoured. Factory service and spare parts support for tonearm owners will continue.

Stuart McNeilis
    Chief Executive Officer

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by flapland View Post
    This is the official announcement of SME Tonearm sales ending. However it does state servicing and support continues.

SME will exit the tonearm retail and OEM business with immediate effect shifting our focus on our core turntable and tonearm combination business. The decision to leave the tonearm business was not taken lightly, especially as we have played a key role in the design and development of the world’s best tonearms. The growth of our turntable business and commitment to higher production levels means that we cannot continue both streams.

SME has designed, engineered and manufactured tonearms for retail and OEM sales since 1959 and achieved international recognition as makers of the best pick-up arms in the world. This tradition of tonearm manufacturing will continue with the manufacture of our highly accredited tonearms for the purpose of coupling with our comprehensive range of high-end precision turntables in which SME will be expanding in 2020.

Whilst no new orders for individual tonearms will be accepted from the issue date of this product announcement, all obligations of the warranty will be honoured. Factory service and spare parts support for tonearm owners will continue.

Stuart McNeilis
    Chief Executive Officer

Maybe for the Mk. IV, V and 300 series. But the servicing of the 3000 series stopped years ago (I spoke to SME about this, before the company was bought out), and someone who recently acquired a 3009-R and asked SME to sell him some replacement parts for the arm, had his request declined.

I don't know if SME will conlinue to support the M2-9R and M2-12R arms: it's possible if they were to sell them with their remanufactured Garrard 301, as the two would be an aesthetic match.
    Barry

I'm John.

They still offer parts and servicing.
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonchipfryer View Post
    They still offer parts and servicing.
    For all of their arm designs?
    Barry

I'm Nari.

Sme do not have parts for the original arms and the 3012r, 3009r 3010r but will service and provide parts for the modern tonearms inc M series for now and M-R series.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    Sme do not have parts for the original arms and the 3012r, 3009r 3010r but will service and provide parts for the modern tonearms inc M series for now and M-R series.
    Well that's reassuring - but we will see how long it lasts.
    Barry

I'm Nari.

With the unusual decisions the new owner seems to make no one can be sure of any thing, I suspect they will hike the prices of servicing but continue with most arm servicing series v etc for a long time, as parts are being produced for current production. I could also imagine them stopping servicing of the M series and m9r possibly at some point, as these are not offered on any of there turntables hence no reason to continue making parts.

I think a current service of a series v 309 series iv etc starts at £750 ish.

I recently asked for a price to service my 30/12 turntable they suggested £2500 as a starting point not cheap this was plus any additional parts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast