+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What does one consider to be the best sounding tonearm

I'm Nari.

Default What does one consider to be the best sounding tonearm

Its a wet rainy day, having already started a thread on what one thinks is the best looking tonearm, obviously looks and sound does not go hand in hand how important are the looks? and also what does one feel is the best sounding tonearm they have ever heard or owned or would like to ever own should budget permit.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm John.

I thought my OL Encounter 3C was a superb sounding arm, however when I recently upgraded to a Conqueror 3C the jump in SQ was astonishing. So god knows what moving up to the soon to be released £24k Renown or the yet to be released (12 - 18 months) £47k invincible would bring to the party?
    For me though at this moment my dream arm is the 14" Kuzma 4 point.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk
    Money may not make me happy.
    But it helps me afford the kind of misery I prefer.

SYSTEM 1:

Analogue.
    Brinkmann Bardo / 12" OL Enterprise Mk4 / Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum /BigBottle mk3 /MFA Baby Reference Pre/Nord One UP SE NC500M/Martin Logan Summit

Digital.
    Docet Lector CDP-7TL mkiii/Pimped Bluesound Node2 + BOTW SBooster Lps/ Pimped Mk1 Jolida Fx Glass DAC.

Wires etc.
    Audioplan Musicable ICs & TQ Black ll SC, assorted branded kettle leads.
    Target TT shelf & Alphason 5 shelf rack.
    Power Inspired AG1500S mains regen.

SYSTEM 2: Back to the 80s.

Garrard 401, RB250, A&R P77Mg / Mk1 Marantz CD63 SE / Sony TC-FX150 / Sansui T500L / Cambridge Audio C50 + 2x A50 as bridged monos (mid 80s Stan Curtis's design) / or KEF 104ab/ Original 80s Monster Cable IC, DNM SC / Target 5 shelf rack.

SPARE KIT:
    A&R E77Mg
    Ortofon 2M Silver + Blue stylus
    Philips CD600
    Arcam Alpha 8P
    Pro-Ject DacBox S FL
    CCA
    FiiO Taishan
    Heybrook HB1 S2
    Q Acoustics 3050

I'm openingabottleofwine.

To some extent it depends on the cartridge used, but all of my current arms in use sound pretty neutral to me (tonearms should not have a sound of their own - that's the job of the cartridge):

Breuer Dynamic Type 5A

Brinkmann 10.5

Ortofon 309i (Ikeda modified)

SME M-12R.

There are a couple of tangential tracking arms that interest me, but they have problems of their own so I doubt if I would pursue that course. The new Glanz arms interest me, as does the Abis SA-1.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

Sorry this is a pointless thread, as Barry has said the best sounding tonearm shouldn’t have any effect it should be neutral and let the cartridge sing, again sorry but this is a thread where everyone chips in with something, no one really agrees or can say one way or the other, pointless

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Adam.

Default What does one consider to be the best sounding tonearm

SME V. That was an easy one.

In fact, why do I still not have one?
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    SME V. That was an easy one.

In fact, why do I still not have one?
    Probably £4k worth of reasons mate

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Probably £4k worth of reasons mate
    ...and the sound, it doesn't impart according to many but according to me it does detract... Yes I know, it looks like Darth Vader's doodle of a stealth bomber which is cool I guess, but really is there any more than that?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Nari.

The sme v is a pain of a arm in my experience, no two sound the same. The arm has evolved over the years and good one can be just stunning a poor sample can sound dry and boring. I must have owned at lest 15 examples over the years. I have just taken delivery of the Primary Control field coil arm this has proven to be a very special beast indeed.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    The sme v is a pain of a arm in my experience, no two sound the same. The arm has evolved over the years and good one can be just stunning a poor sample can sound dry and boring. I must have owned at lest 15 examples over the years. I have just taken delivery of the Primary Control field coil arm this has proven to be a very special beast indeed.
    Surprising you have any time to listen with all the swapping and changing you must do trying to reach a goal that does not exist. 😉
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm Alex.

I quite scarily agreed to buy an SME 10 with the 309 tonearm after never hearing any of the ‘boring/cold/dry’ magnesium SME variants. I have put on a Killian Bakker re-tipped Cadenza Bronze and all I hear is warm, beautiful music. I think I will soon be listing my Origin Live Illustrious. The fact that the SME is an absolute joy to set up is a complete bonus.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast