+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTD - Exposure Super XV, or XVII and Super XVIII

I'm Andy.

Default WTD - Exposure Super XV, or XVII and Super XVIII

As the title says I'm looking for either an Exposure Super XV, or possibly the XVII and Super XVIII. The phono stage needs to be MM as I don't have any plans to go MC, and that also excludes the Super XX.

I've reached the point in my hi-fi journey where I know it needs to be one of those (having owned the XXI/Super XVIII, XXV, Super XX, VIII and X at some point. Call me fussy... Oh, and the Super XV takes up less rack space and fewer power sockets than the pre/power, which is why it's my first choice.

I know people hoard these, and I wish I'd done that too, but hopefully someone can bear to sell one of them.

I'm brian.

Strange the super XV111 turned up at mine today paired with XX1, after sneaky offer to seller was accepted on the pay . I also own the XXVRC integrated, so would consider selling
    either that or the pre/power pending how they compare, maybe ?. Will keep you in mind Andy. The XXV sound so-so good and blown my previous ss amps away. Just realised you need phono though lol
    Anyway good luck, they do turn up on eBay fairly regular, though not so much the 17.

I'm Andy.

Thanks Brian. If the price on the 21/Super 18 is decent I might plump for that even without the phono stage. My Headphone amp (Exposure XM HP) has a phono stage in it along with a DAC, but it wallows in the bass a bit. If I assume that's a fault that can be fixed then the XM HP would act as input switching and the 21 would just be an overkill volume knob. The XM HP might be incompatible with my cartridges though (or just not very good on vinyl), hence looking at the 17/Super 15 in preference.

I'm brian.

Just as a little aside Andy ( or anybody ) what gear have you tried with exposure amps, speakers etc ?. Sorry to sneak in here and impose my own agenda.
    btw this 21/18 is in pretty minty condition, and although many disapprove of exposure looks to me that glossy front plate looks stunning !. Keep an eye on Hi Fi for sale as well.

I'm Andy.

I've not found any speakers that really excel with the VIII, but when I was using the XXI/Super XVIII I had some Sonus Faber Electas, which were magical with it. I should have sold a kidney instead of those. The Super XX worked well with whatever I had at the time and didn't seem too fussy, but I can't remember exactly what I was using.

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadish View Post
    I've not found any speakers that really excel with the VIII, but when I was using the XXI/Super XVIII I had some Sonus Faber Electas, which were magical with it. I should have sold a kidney instead of those. The Super XX worked well with whatever I had at the time and didn't seem too fussy, but I can't remember exactly what I was using.
    Thanks Andy, may have to sell a kidney to buy into the Faber brand lol. This 21, 18 combo is so VERY good, might have to rip em from me grasp !
    There is a pair of 18 mono s and 17 pre I think on hi fi for sale. Not sure if the ad s out of date though as happens on there sometimes. Take care

I'm Daniele.

I have a collector item, super xviii power amplifier used few hours for testing that is immacolate inside and outside. Even dustless. In case of interest send pm and will provide pictures. Cheers
    UBIK listen with: Primare dac, densen pre, class A amp, Jordan eikona

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by tapid View Post
    Thanks Andy, may have to sell a kidney to buy into the Faber brand lol. This 21, 18 combo is so VERY good, might have to rip em from me grasp !
    There is a pair of 18 mono s and 17 pre I think on hi fi for sale. Not sure if the ad s out of date though as happens on there sometimes. Take care
    Yeah, even if that advert was new I’d be in two minds about contacting the guy with pictures like that. Price was good for whoever bought them though. Vintage SF aren’t too expensive, just hard to find. The newer models I’ve owned since haven’t been as good.

I’m having some issues with my X humming through the speakers. It seems to be sensitive to everything, although occasionally it’s quiet. Depends which way the DAC is pointing and what shelf the headphone amp is on I’m hoping the models I’m looking for aren’t that fussy (I don’t remember having any issues with them).

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
    I have a collector item, super xviii power amplifier used few hours for testing that is immacolate inside and outside. Even dustless. In case of interest send pm and will provide pictures. Cheers
    Thanks for the offer Daniele. I’m focusing my search in the UK for the moment as I have high 250v mains and need a UK model. I’m not too sure what Exposure did for the European units. How has it survived this long with only a few hours of use? Are you sure it hasn’t gone right round the clock and back again to zero?

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadish View Post
    Yeah, even if that advert was new I’d be in two minds about contacting the guy with pictures like that. Price was good for whoever bought them though. Vintage SF aren’t too expensive, just hard to find. The newer models I’ve owned since haven’t been as good.

I’m having some issues with my X humming through the speakers. It seems to be sensitive to everything, although occasionally it’s quiet. Depends which way the DAC is pointing and what shelf the headphone amp is on I’m hoping the models I’m looking for aren’t that fussy (I don’t remember having any issues with them).
    Yes, I meant to say yesterday, condition was cosmetically challenged.... a few scratches or something he said Ive seen the odd comment from folk about exposure hum, good luck with it.
    I love the way this 21/ 18 controls busy passages of classical music for example, with power, space and air aplenty. All seems really effortless and a lovely sweet tonality as well. Glad ( as an exposure newbie ) I took the plunge. Keep looking.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast