+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Celestion Ditton 44 - External Crossovers?

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Cap values for the 44 cross over has been discussed zillions of times, they all come to the same conclusion, stick to the original values, just a friendly piece of advice to stop you from going down a rabbit hole.
    i agree with the above,also dont get too excited,i have recapped 3 pairs of 44's and 1 pair of 66's and replaced the stock wiring inside,ive never heard the night and day difference thats banded about on forums.
    with that in mind id just change the electrolytic caps and put them back in the cabinet.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Josie.

To externalise makes sense. And it's a good experiment to try.

To go active is also a great idea so long as you have done your research.

I think it's fair to say it's an experiment which is personal to you which makes it interesting to others. It would be great to see how it goes. Lot's of pics would be great.

And yes... regarding values which goes without saying, have the crossovers re-built to the original specs or as identical as possible. Those guys at Celestion knew what they were doing.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Ben.

Righto guys, points taken onboard with the caps. Andre made his thoughts felt when this popped up some months ago

If going with the external crossover is there anything I should be aware of with regards to distance from the speaker or isolation?
    Last edited by HD Goofnut; 03-07-2020 at 20:16. Reason: Grammar.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
    Anything I should be aware of with regards to distance from the speaker or isolation?
    Keep all wire length as short as possible to decrease impedance. Don't mount your cross over box on the speaker, you would loose the main reason for externalising it.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Josie.

Just keep them away from any vibration. Not too close to the cabinets.

Regarding cable, 1m max.

Make sure you use quality cable too. Connections from the crossover to the cabinet should be quality binding posts and use spades rather than banana plugs.

Or you can hard-wire the crossovers from the speakers which will remove a set of connections.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Ben.

Should I build isolation feet into the bottom of the crossover box? I’m thinking it should be a given.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
    Should I build isolation feet into the bottom of the crossover box? I’m thinking it should be a given.
    Yes.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Ben.

Perfect & thanks again for the advice guys. I’m off to hunt for some reclaimed Burmese Teak, wish me luck!

I'm Josie.

Well, if you want to, yes.

I wouldn't say it's an absolute assuming it's an experiment at the moment. But if you wanted to really go for it, try to lift them off the ground, about 6" should be fine. It would make sure the coils have enough space.

Are you going to simply re-build them on the same board or are you going for a re-design?

If the latter, then you could do well by making sure the coils have at least 20cm distance from each other depending on orientation.

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Ben.

As I’m looking to move the crossovers due to their placement I’m thinking I should follow this theory through and do things “properly” which is why I was thinking of isolating them as best as possible.

The idea was to rebuilt them on their original boards. I don’t want to stray too far from the original design but if it can be tweaked in a positive way then I think it will make for a decent project.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast