+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Celestion Ditton 44 - External Crossovers?

I'm Ben.

Default Celestion Ditton 44 - External Crossovers?

With my pair of 44 cabinets needing to be rebuilt would there be any benefit to moving the crossover externally, fitting three sets of binding posts (Cardas CCBP) instead of the usual one and wiring those up to each speaker?

I'm Ben.

I'm Josie.

I'd say yes. Give it a go.

Nice quality speakers. Also, if you haven't already, swap out any aging electrolytic caps.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Ben.

Thanks for the reply I wanted to move them from the back of the sub but couldn’t find anywhere internally to put them so hoped this would be a good alternative.

Is there a recommended distance from the speaker when going with external crossovers?

They will be rebuilt before it all goes back together, now things are starting to open up again I can get this project moving.

I'm Graham.

Hi Ben, just to play devils advocate....
    If you are going to go active, I can see the benefit however if passive, the probably small benefit of having an external crossover should be weighed against the extra cost, additional boxes, speaker cable, floorspace required, general untidyness and probably a reduction of resale value.
    I only say this as I remember when kevin introduced the IBX internal xover version of the living voice avatar and thinking how much less fussy they were compared to the external covers of my obx.

I'm Ben.

Hi Graham.

Playing devils advocate is fine with me, it’s nice to be able to bounce ideas off people and chat about pros and cons.

The speakers wouldn’t be going active, I would just be removing the crossover from directly behind the woofer. I agree it’s a lot less fussy with everything inside the box but with the 44’s internal space is a commodity.

The extra boxes wouldn't be much of an issue as the room is quite large, I was thinking about making them out of reclaimed hardwood with dovetail joints and an acrylic lid, then French polishing the wood to help with the untidiness factor.

Value wise is a tough one. The speakers are in good condition, the tweeter will be rebuilt as will the crossovers, albeit sympathetically. But the cabinets are rough. I will be remaking those so the patina will be lost in that respect.
    Last edited by HD Goofnut; 02-07-2020 at 23:58. Reason: Grammar.

I'm Andrew.

Cap values for the 44 cross over has been discussed zillions of times, they all come to the same conclusion, stick to the original values, just a friendly piece of advice to stop you from going down a rabbit hole.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Ben.

Cheers Andrew but we weren’t discussing cap values. Just the idea of moving the crossover from inside to outside of the cabinet

I'm Graham.

Hi Ben,
    Your approach sounds logical to me, so good luck with the venture

I'm Lawrence.

I've often thought about pimping up a good quality pair of vintage speakers to show that fundamentally they can still hold their own against more recent designs in most respects except maybe pure SPLs. Good luck with this.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast