+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Soncoz SGD1 DAC - Review

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    okay after more extended listening the DAC can't replace my pre-amp. Might be a dynamic range issue with it being a digital volume control. I had it about halfway round but the sound was a bit 'sat on'. I didn't think there was still this issue with digital volume losing dynamic range if not flat out but certainly does sound like it. Maybe it is something else. Anyway, as a consequence I've scrapped the idea of using it as a pre-amp too.
    Thank God for that, I have a DCB1 and have a Soncoz SGD1 on order. Didnt want to have wasted money on the preamp!
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Thank God for that, I have a DCB1 and have a Soncoz SGD1 on order. Didnt want to have wasted money on the preamp!
    Your Soncoz turn up yet Jerry?

A bit more to add to this review. I had thought a slightly 'soft' overall character to the sound was down to Krell power amp I usually have wired up. Trying another power amp (Philips 380) and a Sony TA F 530ES the 'softness' remained. Obviously that's not a character of all three of these amplifiers so the cause had to be elsewhere.

Thinking it unlikely to be the DAC and not having another stand-alone DAC to swap in I changed CD transports instead, substituting a Panasonic DVD player for the Oppo. A surprising improvement. Why would this be? I don't know. Obviously not all CD transports will sound the same but you would think the Oppo would be superior. For whatever reason, it isn't.

I need to get the Oppo hooked up to a monitor and check out the settings. I'm wondering if it upsamples the signal between reading it and outputting it? I had an upsampling CD player once and didn't get on with it. Soft and mushy. Anyway will report back on that as the Oppo will now be taking over from the Panasonic on A/V duties in the TV system.

Some might prefer the softer presentation of course and consider that superior. Personally I like a quite sparkly, crisp 'hi-fi' sound over the 'organic' or 'analogue' sound so many seem to prefer. In any case, it wasn't anything to do with the DAC, which continues to impress with its beautifully clean and sweet sound.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jerry.

Hi Martin,
    I should have the Soncoz next Tuesday as I ordered late on Friday.
    Most of my listening is streamed so I hope the dac likes my Squeezebox Touch and Croft amp.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Martin.

Cool. Squeezbox is good, great SQ from them.

I've taken the protective film off the display on my Soncoz now so there's no going back.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Lee.

Interesting that you found that,I had a oppo 203,it’s own dac was no where near as good as my caiman seg,and as a transport it was no better than my Sony bdps7200,obviously all with cd as the source,also though the picture quality with Blu-ray wasn’t any better,did have the best remote control I’ve ever used though.
    Cambridge audio cxc,CCA Spotify premium
    Beresford seg,dorado,supercap and clock mods
    Dcb1 750ma pre
    Quad QSP power
    Monitor Audio silver 8i
    Kimber powerkords,4vs speaker cable,pbj and Klotz mc5000 interconnects.

I'm David.

Pleased you're still enjoying the Soncoz Macca.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    Pleased you're still enjoying the Soncoz Macca.
    Cheers, really am getting a seriously good sound out of it, and I'm just using a Panasonic DVD player as a transport. Only cost me tenner! Imagine what it must be like with a serious transport?

I see today that Soncoz say they have a power amp in development at the moment. Might be worth a look.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Jerry.

The Soncoz turned up on Wednesday and I have spent some time listening to it. Initially I thought it ok but it seems to have improved in the last few hours or maybe I have become accustomed to it. Bass is deep but really well controlled. The top end hasn't quite got the sparkle of my old Beresford but I am beginning to think that it might have been exaggerated.
    Soundstage is wider and more focused. Daughter loves the Bluetooth feature, got to admit the sound quality is fine from her phone!
    The rotary control feels so cheap, I know others have mentioned this but if there was no remote I think I would have returned it.
    Dont think there is any protective film over the display on mine and the mains cable is not UK standard. Otherwise good service from Purite.
    Jerry

I'm Martin.

I didn't notice any protective film on mine either until I read that it was there. Took a bit of picking at it to find an edge to it.

Agree that the HF is not at all exaggerated. Could be a positive or a negative depending on the rest of the system. I do like a bit of sparkle myself.

Mine came with two mains cables neither of which is for the UK. Looking at them some places must have some right wacky sockets. Fortunately I had a spare 'foo' mains cable which I pressed into service.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Jerry.

Yea-I found a foo one too!
    Jerry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast