+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Soncoz SGD1 DAC - Review

I'm Ray.

No it was not that one, it was a longer thread with a more general topic about recordings.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
    No it was not that one, it was a longer thread with a more general topic about recordings.
    Right - well I did have a listen to it - it's the original CD release - at pretty high levels and I couldn't hear any overload on the vocal, or any distortion. Even when she's really going for it. I couldn't hear the ticking from the 'damaged tape' on 'The Last Time I saw Richard' that they were talking about on that thread I linked to either, despite listening very intently.

Could be ,my hearing I suppose.. I know the power amp I'm using isn't the most transparent so maybe that's it? Or maybe there just isn't a problem with the recording at all?. I mean Joni produced it herself.

If I had to bet, I'd bet it's not the recording.

I will try it again with a different power amp in the system at some point though, just out of interest.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Just trying the Soncoz as a pre-amplifier hooked straight into a Philips 380 'Black Tulip' power amp. Sounds excellent! So far anyway, I've only played half an album.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Sounds like you've got a good result there Martin. A decent DAC can make a huge difference. I suspect many have not heard music through one, hence comments suggesting CD is inferior.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

I'm guess there are cheaper DACs that would sound just as good. But I liked the orange display and the fact that the measurements are so close to perfect.

I'm more surprised that it has effectively made my pre-amp redundant though.

I don't think the problems that some people have with digital have much to do with the DAC though.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Shouldnt this be in the digital forum rather than this one ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Discopants View Post
    Shouldnt this be in the digital forum rather than this one ?

Strokes of Genius
    (3 Viewing)
    Tell us of any fantastic tweaks, free or otherwise, which have transformed your system. Also post reviews of equipment and ancillaries.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

I assumed they would mean reviews of tweaks and ancillary equipment, there are loads of reviews of DACs in the digital forum already.

I'm Martin.

Nope, it is all reviews of anything, doesn't matter what it is. This issue has been raised before which is how I know
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

okay after more extended listening the DAC can't replace my pre-amp. Might be a dynamic range issue with it being a digital volume control. I had it about halfway round but the sound was a bit 'sat on'. I didn't think there was still this issue with digital volume losing dynamic range if not flat out but certainly does sound like it. Maybe it is something else. Anyway, as a consequence I've scrapped the idea of using it as a pre-amp too.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast