+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Russ Andrews Power Purifier ?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Since the RA 'blue box' plugs into a convenient mains socket without facility to plug anything into the box, whatever components are in the box can only appear in shunt with the mains supply. Without speculating exactly what each of the internal black boxes that can populate the 'blue box' do, their internal construction is only likely to contain components that are wired between any and/or all of the three mains conductors.

A typical mains filter often comprises an 'X' capacitor of 0.1 - 0.22uF placed across the L and N, with a pair of 'Y' capacitors of 0.01 - 0.1uF wired between the L and N to earth. A pair of inductors of ~ 0.5mH might be wired in series between the X capacitor and the Y capacitors.

Spark or spike suppression is achieved with either a VDR (voltage dependant resistor) or a sealed gas-filled spark gap.

None of these components ought cost any more than, say, £30 in total.
    Barry

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

A good friend of mine bought the power purifier, he tried a couple of the plug in modules too which to him only made subtle differences?

But he kept the whole package and seems to be happy with the results, appears to be a smoother less fatiguing sound.
    Having heard it myself, it seems to work but I'm not interested in trying one myself, quite happy with my mains set up as it is.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Since the RA 'blue box' plugs into a convenient mains socket without facility to plug anything into the box, whatever components are in the box can only appear in shunt with the mains supply. Without speculating exactly what each of the internal black boxes that can populate the 'blue box' do, their internal construction is only likely to contain components that are wired between any and/or all of the three mains conductors.

A typical mains filter often comprises an 'X' capacitor of 0.1 - 0.22uF placed across the L and N, with a pair of 'Y' capacitors of 0.01 - 0.1uF wired between the L and N to earth. A pair of inductors of ~ 0.5mH might be wired in series between the X capacitor and the Y capacitors.

Spark or spike suppression is achieved with either a VDR (voltage dependant resistor) or a sealed gas-filled spark gap.

None of these components ought cost any more than, say, £30 in total.
    That is almost exactly what I posted about The Silencer, a little 'wall wart which was pluggable into a socket aside the used ones.

And BTW, I think health shops are often frequented by people who are placebophiles, which of course serves the profits of the shops.

I'm bob.

Since the Power Purifier in its current form is black, all references to a 'blue box' are irrelevant. Totally irrelevant! Prove that it is the same thing rather than speculate.

If somebody thinks they can do exactly the same box, with exactly the same results for £30- then do it!

Then source the boxes, the modules, and market and employ staff to assemble it and I for one would buy it for £30-.

Yes, I use an RA Power Purifier fully loaded alongside an RA Mains Abzorber in the first 2 sockets of my distribution block, and they work very well together to remove noise. The effect was obvious from first installation and I am very happy with the results although of course I wish they were priced lower.

Describe the results? No way! Anything said would make me a target for all the snipers, so read the review which was linked to in a previous reply.

RA is a very clever man (who must be very thick skinned) to market products that are often so often negatively presented by comments on a forum like this. My early opinions were affected by that negativity, but recently have found that the RA bits I use do work, pretty much exactly how he describes.

I'm Geoff.

That sounds a bit defensive. Thing is, what are you defending, RA products or your equipment choices and why?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

I did once have a Belkin mains block that had a beneficial effect on the sound, sweetening it a little. I know it wasn't just me as several visitors commented unprompted on the sweet sound after I had installed it. Only cd player and pre-amp were plugged in though not the power amp. The power amp clearly lost dynamics when powered through it.

What it was doing and how it was doing it I have no idea, but it did do something.

I was given the tip on it by a bloke I bought a pre-amp from on eBay, and he had the tip from a mate who ran a full Naim system. Belkin didn't make any SQ claims for the thing IIRC, it was just a large 6 way block with surge protection 'crowbar' and came with a supposed 'million dollar' guarantee. I didn't unplug it when they changed my electricity meter and it died so I binned it.

They no longer make them and I tried the replacement model but that does nothing.

EDIT - I actually now do use a Russ Andrews mains block, but not one that he makes any claims for other than it is made of quality parts. Which it clearly is. It cost £100 which is probably too much to spend on a mains block. I must have had a knock on the head that day or something.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm bob.

Not defensive about my system or choices.

Offended by people who post about particular products without fully knowing what they are and their effects, so make assumptions.

Of course, they have never tried those particular products (in this case the Power Purifier) which makes them experts! I think not. So why denigrate the product?

In this thread one person called RA a turd, another said that his products are very 'Icke'. Not helpful at all to the subject of the thread.

As I said, these types of comments negatively affected my opinion of RA products when I was starting in hifi so I would not buy them, and they could also affect others. It took me years to decide to try some of his gear and find that they worked, and most of the negativity was just people jumping on the bandwagon with no experience of what they are criticising.

I'm Martin.

You don't have to try something before you can be legitimately sceptical about it though. I've not tried jumping off the roof of my house but I'm still reasonably certain what the outcome would be.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

And I didn't call RA a turd, I said he sounded like a bit of a turd - a comment based on what I read in the previous post, by someone who appears to have had more experience of RA than just buying (and liking) his products.

Also it wasn't suggested that the Power Purifier could be made for £30, rather that the cost of the components might come to that much.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Josie.

Let's put it this way.

I'm more than confident that there are some on AOS who could make the same products which work either the same or better for a lot less than R.A. They might not look as pretty but they would do the same job.

They would also be able to give you the same type of measurements I'm sure.

If you need something making, start a thread and see how it goes.

I can't see the point in judging R.A but I can see the point of remaining skeptical, keeping a level head and reading between the lines of the shpeelo.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast