+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A visit to Fanthorpes

I'm Graham.

Default A visit to Fanthorpes

Just before lockdown I paid a visit to Fanthorpes in Hull. It is located in the rather picturesque Hepworth’s Arcade in the old town centre close to Hull Minster.

They stock a wide selection of products, including Luxman, Sugden, Avid, Classe, Creek, Bryston, Exposure, SME, PMC, JBL and many others. As it was midmorning just before lockdown, I was the only person in the store so had the opportunity for a long listen to some gear in one of their listening rooms.

Unfortunately, they had just sold their set of JBL L100 Classics the day before so I was not able to listen to them however they hooked up a pair of Klipsch Heresy IVs instead. The amp was a Leema Tucana II Anniversary. Leema is not a brand I am familiar with apart from at shows powering big Kef speakers, a combination which is a bit strident for my liking. The Front end was a Michell Gyro with an Ortofon MC (I forget the model) into a Musical Fidelity phono stage.

It took a little while to adjust to the different presentation on the Heresy but it was soon obvious they pack of lot of energy in combination with a warm tonal balance. They sit low to the floor so I ended up stretched out on the listening couch much as I do at home - very relaxing! Once dialled into the presentation, I spun quite a few LPs including old faves such as Bowie which sounded good on the forgiving Klipsch. It soon became obvious that the amp is a good 'un and probably not what I was expecting, having great control and authority but retaining the delicacy sometimes missing from beefy transistor amps. I spent far longer listening to it than I intended always a good sign.

I was also interested in listening to Exposure having heard good things about the brand so a 3012s was substituted. From the first track it was clear it was not in the same league as the pricier Leema. It sounded fleet of foot but also lighter and rather thin in comparison, so I didnt listen to it for that long. Perhaps I should have listened the other way around, or tried the 5012 monos, but having heard the Leema there was no point in persevering.

The Klipsch grew on me as at first listen they sound rather opaque and overly warm. Anyone who has heard had the Forte demoed at shows last year will know what I mean. However they are good at getting the musical message across. So if you hanker after a real 70s sound, these fit the bill, being as comfortable as your favourite slippers but dispensing with the pipe, as they can boogie along.

However, the Leema Tucana Anniversary was the real surprise, it's got all the hallmarks of a high end integrated with an expressive but refined delivery that should be able to drive a wide range of speakers. It would be interesting to put this up against the similarly priced Sugden ANV-50 a brand Fanthorpes has a lot of experience with.

By this time, well over two hours had flown by, so a good time to stop and head down for an excellent coffee and lunch in the adjacent Trinity Market gourmet food hall, which is an essential visit 😛

Thanks must go to the super helpful staff at Fanthorpes for an enjoyable visit. I can only highly recommend them if you are in the market for any of the brands they stock or just want to listen to a selection of quality brands in a relaxed environment.

I'm Phil.

thanks for write , tucana a great amp
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread