+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: issue with sme 3009/Thorens TD160

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by moodybuilder View Post
    The new plinth should be made deeper out of better timber with a much denser base board,like 12mm MDF. that’s the point in getting a new plinth made.
    Absolutely right the original plinth was made to fit the Thorens arm which is quite shallow, in contrast not only is the 3009 arm deeper but on many versions the cable is attached at the very bottom of the arm, even after modifying the arm the plinth has barely enough space to allow suspension travel, i think the original plinth is about 50 or 60mm deep, i'd say if you're going to the expense of a new plinth it needs to be about twice as deep, mine for instance is 100mm with an 18mm MDF base board the 3009 arm fit's well and allows easy set up of the suspension

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm openingabottleofwine.

That was why SME developed the HE (horizontal entry) version of the SME 3009 (imp) arm, for both the TD150 and TD125 turntables with their shallow plinths.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

i guess back in the day the plinth was an integral part of the TT especially to me, even though when you take the deck apart the plinth is second rate at best, but most people and that would have included me back then would have left the TT setup to the shop and not realised its short comings and i guess by the same token most HiFi dealers wouldn't be suggesting you fork out your hard earned ohh and then a bit more coz the deck you bought isn't as great as it could be.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12