+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Differential in sound quality between turntable and digital - Old Linn system

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Al View Post
    Hum , now that takes some thinking about very unusual for a well set up vinyl system to be that bad
    I agree, and wonder if the problem is elsewhere - can you not borrow a phono stage (doesn't have to be expensive), and try it into one of the line level inputs? I'm assuming your amp has it's own phono input.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Mike.

We all know that built in phono stages are crap even on quite expensive amps, so as others have said trying a separate phono stage would be your 1st point of call, other things to check are the cartridge alignment and VTF and make sure the stylus is clean and not covered in crud

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    We all know that built in phono stages are crap even on quite expensive amps, so as others have said trying a separate phono stage would be your 1st point of call, other things to check are the cartridge alignment and VTF and make sure the stylus is clean and not covered in crud
    True, I used to have a Musical Fidelity amp, and the phono stage was pretty grim, although the amp cost four times that of the preceding Cyrus 1. I think sometimes the phono stage on amps of a certain age was just a bit of an afterthought.

Mike, while you're on here, are you up for receiving a visit this afternoon? I seem to have lost your mobile number

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Geoff.

Not always though. The phono stage in my Forte Model 2 pre-amp was great and the one in my VTL Deluxe is bloomin' amazing .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Brian.

Default Differential in sound quality between turntable and digital - Old Linn system

Thanks folks. I’m using an old Linn Majik1 integrated amp (but only as a preamp as I’m using two activ LK100s) . I might investigate another phono stage. I might also look at a ‘proper’ preamp of a similar vintage, ie a Wakonda or indeed Kairn. I will stress my hearing is not great with h/f being quite problematic! I also tried two different pressings of the same lp. The 2018 remaster was a bit better than the original 1980 pressing. It’s a brand new cartridge/stylus so I can rule that out, but I will recalibrate it with a protractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Kevin.

A better stylus would probably help as well. Rather than the elliptical nude, something like the ML or SH would give you more detail.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by BDD View Post
    I will stress my hearing is not great with h/f being quite problematic!

Not to worry, most of us on here are deaf as a post. With the exception of Marco, he has ears like a bat. Looks like one too. I probably should have whispered that last bit

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Not to worry, most of us on here are deaf as a post. With the exception of Marco, he has ears like a bat. Looks like one too. I probably should have whispered that last bit

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    A better stylus would probably help as well. Rather than the elliptical nude, something like the ML or SH would give you more detail.
    Thanks - I’ll look at that further

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    And unlike digital which rewards some initial investment but quickly hits a ceiling
    Well my digital system has no ceiling.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast