+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amps for subs

I'm Howard.

Default Amps for subs

I have a pair of Gradient type subs which I’ve been driving with a Quad 520. Yesterday I noticed that one of the channels had died. I could get it repaired of course, but I thought it may be more interesting to see if there were other amps which excel in this sort of role. Suggestions appreciated.

The rest of the system is Quad ESL 63 driven by a Krell KSA 50. I hope no one is going to suggest I buy another KSA 50!

A general question. Are the gradients hard to drive? Do I need a very powerful amp?

I'm Martin.

Buy another KSA50 anyway, you can never have enough Krells.

Crown or Behringer are quite popular choices for passive subs. Cheap, lots of watts. Subwoofers need lots of watts. No need for a serious 'hi-fi' amp on them.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes, something like a Behringer Inuke, which come with up to 6000w of juice on tap. High damping factor too, which may be an advantage with big woofers.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Howard.

Why would I need 6000W?

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandryka View Post
    Why would I need 6000W?
    Why wouldn't you?
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Mike.

Yes a crown or an Apart pro amp loads of watts less finesse, great for power hungry subs

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread