+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HDD or SSD

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    Thank you all for your time replying to my post. I will probably invest in a SSD to back up my own music which is currently on my NAS. My plan then is to give the backup to my son to look after so that Its offsite. I listen to music now mainly via Qobuz.
    I'm a bit confused about why you would back up to SSD? I assume the NAS is HDD- haven't you got things the wrong way round ie why pay more for something where reliability isn't an issue but cost maybe is?

Like others I've got 2 laptops (work/home) running SSDs with no problem for years but I back up everything to a couple of old school HDDs

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    It was probably Melco as it was one of their reps that first put the doubt in my mind. The rep did add that they see more SSD’s going into their products than HDD.
    That's right I just found the below from a StereoNet review which is what he told me. I got confused, they do use SSDs but they are in the models outside my price range. Well all the models are outside my price range at the new prices!

Music data is written infrequently and is rarely modified, rendering the usual computer SSD lifetime optimisation algorithms as inappropriate, especially as they also tend to impact on data integrity, as they operate in bursts as required. The N1ZS uses purposebuilt SSDs designed especially for audio playback, with a low level and consistent management algorithm that has zero impact on data integrity, but lowers the power noise signature significantly.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Paul.

Purely a coincidence but my lightly used first SSD drive a Crucial MX300 has started failing the Crucial diagnostics, did a quick sector check and one bad block was reported, don't know how valid a sector check is on SSD's though but Crucisls own software reports a fault.

This drive is 2 years old and used as a boot drive on a machine that is mainly used for internet browsing.

Can't remember the last time a proper Hard Disk failed so not overly impressed with the Crucial at the moment.
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

1. I back up to SSD for speed.
    2. My oldest SSD is around 8 years old and still going strong on the laptop that it cam with.
    3. I prefer the Samsung EVO range.

I'm Clive.

Thanks for the advice guys. I’ve just bought a 500Gb Samsung T5 USB drive. It took 5hrs to load all my home stored music (319Gb).
    To check out the results, I plugged the USB into the input of my Aries G1 and compared it to my Synology running MinimServer on WD Red Drives. I found that the USB drive was very slightly louder but SQ was very close to the point that I couldn’t tell a difference.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12