+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Portable rig advice please.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I’ve used the Sony’s I bought with my iPhone, they sound excellent.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    good bluetooth can sound pretty much as good as wired for majority of time tbh.. Getting a gignal to go far enough is trick.. class 1 long range can go quite far but doesnt like solid walls.. windows are ok tho.i can go all over house with my nura cans.. the buds are not quite as strong in picking up, but are much smaller
    There's two versions of the Shanlings Grant, (well four actually V1 & V2 dynamic driver and V1 & V2 balanced armature driver) there's V1 which is a master and slave set up and the V2 which is direct connect meaning each earphone connects to the phone.

I'm really impressed with the sound quality and the connection quality, you just take the phones out of the case and they automatically connect to the phone/amp or whatever.

The research I did before buying suggested that most of the problems with those types of in ear earphones/buds were down to drop outs which is why I was particularly keen to buy the direct connection version.

I'm John.

Update. I actually have two mobile solutions in terms of my ears now.

1. a set of AKG K452 (SH for £29 in as new!!) these are very good and fold into a nice little case etc.
    2. Jumped at a set of Shanling MTW100 True Wireless (New for £59 in a deal) and to say these have surprised me for a BT Earbud is a massive understatement. The sound is much more refined than I expected.

Happy all around with two good options from a standard iPhone and not at much cost. Whats not to love.

Thanks for all advice.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Home built PC driving Adam Audio 7 Active Monitors from Asus Xonar Essence STX.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyj View Post
    Update. I actually have two mobile solutions in terms of my ears now.

1. a set of AKG K452 (SH for £29 in as new!!) these are very good and fold into a nice little case etc.
    2. Jumped at a set of Shanling MTW100 True Wireless (New for £59 in a deal) and to say these have surprised me for a BT Earbud is a massive understatement. The sound is much more refined than I expected.

Happy all around with two good options from a standard iPhone and not at much cost. Whats not to love.

Thanks for all advice.
    Well done John, BTW are you aware that there's two variants of the Shanling MTW100?

I saw those Dynamic Driver ones at £59 but I decided to go for the Balanced Armature one V2 for £89 from the same place (I presume) although I bought them via their Ebay shop with a £10 off voucher.

Anyway they're amazing IEMs, IMO.

I bought pair of cheap Chifi wired IEMs yesterday, £22 delivered from Amazon and amazing, RevoNext QT2s.

https://medium.com/@scarbir/the-best...s-70d9f3f3bd57

Tony

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    Well done John, BTW are you aware that there's two variants of the Shanling MTW100?

I saw those Dynamic Driver ones at £59 but I decided to go for the Balanced Armature one V2 for £89 from the same place (I presume) although I bought them via their Ebay shop with a £10 off voucher.

Anyway they're amazing IEMs, IMO.

I bought pair of cheap Chifi wired IEMs yesterday, £22 delivered from Amazon and amazing, RevoNext QT2s.

https://medium.com/@scarbir/the-best...s-70d9f3f3bd57

Tony
    Yes I'd heard that version is better but I think the Dynamic Driver version will suffice me for now. The earbuds are more for calls and music than just music in reality. However they are pretty good to my untrained ear.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyj View Post
    Yes I'd heard that version is better but I think the Dynamic Driver version will suffice me for now. The earbuds are more for calls and music than just music in reality. However they are pretty good to my untrained ear.
    I was tempted myself John but I listen to a lot of vocal, Jazz and acoustic along with voice so that's why I ended up buying the BA version.

I've spent too long reading about cheap Chinese IEMs though but this guy below is obsessed

https://www.scarbir.com/truewireless

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    I was tempted myself John but I listen to a lot of vocal, Jazz and acoustic along with voice so that's why I ended up buying the BA version.

I've spent too long reading about cheap Chinese IEMs though but this guy below is obsessed

https://www.scarbir.com/truewireless
    I've found him and yes its a blackhole you can dive into in a big way.

I think ultimately we all decide on our level of listening etc.

I've done valves, old Tannoy Eaton restoration, Frugal Horns and many other things on a modest budget over the years. Now using a Project Perspex SB6 which I love but others may sniff at a little, a Rega Brio which to me is a killer little integrated for the money, a Parks Audio Puffin DSP based Phono which is the most tweakable item I've ever played with andall through Mark Grant cables to a set of Tannoy Revolution XT 6F's that in all honesty I bought blind as I wanted a white gloss speaker of that size and heard a rumour they were a bit of a secret star. Found an open box pair for absolutely stupid money given the original list price. They have proven to be as good if not better than any other speaker I've owned on my modest bugdets.

Long post I know but its interesting to me how we all dive inand find a level of investment and what we require in terms of sound, the tactile act of using a deck, the old arguments about source such as digital vs analogue.

I also run a pretty good soundcard based PC system just using Itunes (shock/horror) into a set of active Adam A7 studio monitors that I've owned for about 8 years and had repaired at the factory once as they are such a great near field monitor with a folded ribbon tweeter that just cannot fatigue my ears in any way.

All of these sytems give me great pleasure but ultimately the vinyl rig just gives me more of everything including the phyiscal act of using it and slowing to choose my music each time. I'm also convinced that vinyl does range of loudness for want of a better term far better than digital but others will say different and that OK. Its ability to slam from quiet to loud without compressing is what I think I'm saying?

What a hobby this can be!

The digital portable listening is just another new thing as I will be in and out of hospital soon facing another challenge and want to listen in the garden sometimes. Ive done headphone amps ans owned Sennheisers/AKG's/various other mid range cans but the earbud?iPhone era is new to me so another little voyage of discovery begins.

Like I said....What a hobby this can be

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12