+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable rig advice please.

I'm John.

Default Portable rig advice please.

Hi all. I am looking for a good quality portable audio setup to use in the garden via headphones as I will be spending quite a bit of time convalescing for several months.

Any suggestions appreciated. I'm not talking ultra high end stuff but definitely want to exceed a typical iPhone experience.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Home built PC driving Adam Audio 7 Active Monitors from Asus Xonar Essence STX.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

How big is your garden, will Bluetooth work?

Dont laugh, having gotten pee’d off with long leads I recently bought one of these-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And a pair of these-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-WH-1...72.m2749.l2649

Whilst they may not quite equal the best phones out there, the sound is very good, and certainly trashes my iPhone and AirPods in the SQ stakes. I have a pair of Oppo PM3’s, and the Sony comes very close, and no bloody lead. 30 hours of battery too.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm John.

I had not even considered that. My Garden is about 20m from the listening room through two walls.

Thats why we come here I suppose

Full portable would also be appreciated as I may be in hospital for a period of time also.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Geoff.

I spent nearly 2 months in hospital last year. One factor I would bear in mind is the hassle of recharging devices. I abandoned my BT headphones and went for a good wired in ear monitor. i used them with my Sony HD mp3 player and my android tablet both of which had extended battery life.

Another consideration is that in order to listen to FM radio on the Sony one needs a wired headphone as an antennae!

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I spent nearly 2 months in hospital last year. One factor I would bear in mind is the hassle of recharging devices. I abandoned my BT headphones and went for a good wired in ear monitor. i used them with my Sony HD mp3 player and my android tablet both of which had extended battery life.

Another consideration is that in order to listen to FM radio on the Sony one needs a wired headphone as an antennae!
    Thanks for that. This crossed my mind earlier and I can see from your experience it is a big consideration.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyj View Post
    Thanks for that. This crossed my mind earlier and I can see from your experience it is a big consideration.
    You might also want to consider whether you want to sit in your garden in the sun with a pair of "on ear" or "over ear" headphones. Sweaty lobes not so nice!

I'm NoLongerActive.

What about a smartphone?
    The LG measurers superb: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...artphone.4468/

Most smartphones allow for a additional SD card.
    A 1 Tb is still expensive but a 500 Gb can be had at about Euro 40.
    This gives you the option to be fully independent of any server and using AAC or high bitrate MP3, to carry a large collection.

Talking Android, players like Foobar Mobile support UPnP/DLNA. You connect your phone to the WiFi and enjoy lossless streaming.
    As WiFi is a much stronger signal compared with Bluetooth, it might work in your garden.

If you are into iPhone, have a look at Airplay.

I'm a fanboy of these ones: https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones.html
    Excellent noise isolation, works very well while listening to classical on tranes and planes.
    Bit lean on the bass but you can always apply some EQ.

Hope you fully recover soon.

I'm Tony.

I've just bought a set of Shanling MTW100 in ear monitors which I use with an iPhone XR & Tidal and I can also bluetooth my Yamaha amp via Yamaha's MusicCast app to them but I can't control the volume which isn't ideal anyway they're £90 delivered via Ebay UK and worth every penny, amazing in fact.

Great site below BTW

https://www.scarbir.com/tws/shanling-mtw100-review

There's also this page for Cheap Chinese headphones recommendations.

https://medium.com/@scarbir/the-best...s-70d9f3f3bd57

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    I've just bought a set of Shanling MTW100 in ear monitors which I use with an iPhone XR & Tidal and I can also bluetooth my Yamaha amp via Yamaha's MusicCast app to them but I can't control the volume which isn't ideal anyway they're £90 delivered via Ebay UK and worth every penny, amazing in fact.

Great site below BTW

https://www.scarbir.com/tws/shanling-mtw100-review

There's also this page for Cheap Chinese headphones recommendations.

https://medium.com/@scarbir/the-best...s-70d9f3f3bd57
    I'm still very weary of in ears using bluetooth etc but will have to have a look. I have a set of little AKG K452's that I really like on the iPhone I have. That works fine for now and may infact be all I need in many regards. Not HD perhaps but with the right bitrate and rips it sounds good enough for casual listening.

I'm Grant.

good bluetooth can sound pretty much as good as wired for majority of time tbh.. Getting a gignal to go far enough is trick.. class 1 long range can go quite far but doesnt like solid walls.. windows are ok tho.i can go all over house with my nura cans.. the buds are not quite as strong in picking up, but are much smaller
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast