+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Audiolab 8200DQ occasional "control software update" message on power-up

I'm Howard.

Default Audiolab 8200DQ occasional "control software update" message on power-up

Hi folks,

The other day I powered up my hifi and noticed no sound coming out. I looked at my Audiolab and noticed a message about 'control update' on the screen. That didn't seem right to me since it hasn't got any connectivity and so it can't check for updates. If I pressed the 'enter' knob it started a countdown, but I didn't want to proceed with this so I stopped. Pressing the 'menu' button allows the unit to continue to boot up and then work perfectly.

Bit strange, but I put it down to a one-off.

Today it happened again. This is what appears:

Again, pressing the 'Menu' button allows it to proceed as normal.

Just wondering if anyone has come across this odd issue?

The only thing I can think of is there's some strange IR combination being sent by my Logitech Harmony remote system. Can this feature be invoked by certain button presses?

Thanks,

Howard.

I'm Rob.

John Westlake designed the stuff for Audiolab and many other companies and was present for many years on the Pink Fish Media Forum. He was more than happy to answer questions about the stuff he designed. Whether he is still posting I don't know. Wiki says that he is semi-retired and doing a Phd, but not sure how up to date that is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_A._Westlake
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Steve.

Did you get this resolved?

I'm Alan.

looking online it looks like a common complaint and eventually the unit goes dead
    Good news is that Audiolab can flash the firmware upgrade to fix it
    John Westlake stated on a PFM thread that the user can not do the upgrade themselves ?

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Did you get this resolved?
    Sorry - I just logged in and had a browse of these forums after a bit of a hiatus and noticed your reply to my thread!

I had an inkling that this was being caused by some sort of rogue IR sequences being sent by my Logitech Harmony remote during system start-up, so I had a fiddle with the activities, and I have also had a bit of a shuffle-round with my Audiolab now sitting on top of my cupboard. That was shortly after this thread was created. It hasn't happened since, and continues to work perfectly. Hey ho.

I'm Lawrence.

How odd but good result

Just for the record, there's a lot of p1ssed off people on PFM who have paid JW many thousands in a crowdfunding of a new DAC which never got past the design/prototype phase. Some doubled up on some amps that were equally unsuccessful.

Furthermore it seems some of the developments he spent their money designing were used in the commercial designs he did for other companies. So naturally many are upset and some strong claims are made which I won't repeat on here. Tony was wary of letting them continue posting, but he decided it was morally the right thing to do.

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    How odd but good result

Just for the record, there's a lot of p1ssed off people on PFM who have paid JW many thousands in a crowdfunding of a new DAC which never got past the design/prototype phase. Some doubled up on some amps that were equally unsuccessful.

Furthermore it seems some of the developments he spent their money designing were used in the commercial designs he did for other companies. So naturally many are upset and some strong claims are made which I won't repeat on here. Tony was wary of letting them continue posting, but he decided it was morally the right thing to do.
    I am aware of that thread but I haven't followed it closely... Not good to hear, for sure! I do love my 8200DQ but one of the main reasons I like it is that it seems to be the only device that fits my requirements: Analogue and digital inputs, a fixed volume level AV input, and balanced outputs.

+ Reply to Thread