+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTD: Vintage Integrated Amplifier

I'm Russell.

Default WTD: Vintage Integrated Amplifier

Really fancy a vintage Integrated.

Something big and chromey with wood, yes must have wood sides, top, bottom whatever.

A good phono stage is a must as will be pairing it with my LP12.

Bigger the better with power to spare. Also an Aux input as will also stream to said amp.

Will also consider a receiver but it must be in tip top condition with everything working, no dirty or crackly pots etc and a recent recap or service would be preferred.

Thinking around £500 but would stretch for the right Luxman or Accuphase.......)

Let me know what you’ve got!
    Last edited by Weeman1973; 22-06-2020 at 20:43.

I'm Robert.

I really like the look of this. Luxman too, so should be quality.

Seller accepting offers as well ........ https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUXMAN-L-...wAAOSwzqBcsfNQ

Owner appraisal https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...an/l-525.shtml
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Steve.

Consider Pioneer and Sansui who both made amps that were world class or even leaders in their class. Problem is you're unlikely to get one of those for £500.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by vintagesteve View Post
    Consider Pioneer and Sansui who both made amps that were world class or even leaders in their class. Problem is you're unlikely to get one of those for £500.
    Exactly and unfortunately.

I wanted to suggest Sansui for sure as a big Sansui user/owner, and Pioneer too but as pointed out, not impossible but couldnt see any of their big/powerful vintages for that money
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    I really like the look of this. Luxman too, so should be quality.

Seller accepting offers as well ........ https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUXMAN-L-...wAAOSwzqBcsfNQ

Owner appraisal https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...an/l-525.shtml
    Never seen a phono straight button before I thought that only started with CD.

I'm Russell.

Default WTD: Vintage Integrated Amplifier

Quote Originally Posted by vintagesteve View Post
    There are Sansui and Pioneer within budget but then perhaps not the ones to be looking at.

There is a nice Pioneer SA8800 for around the money I’m looking for but it’s in Preston.

My issue with spending more or even like SA9800 money (£1500) is that the end of the day, it’s a 40 year old (+) amp and for that cash there are better options to be had with modern equipment.

Looks like I’ll have to rethink.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeman1973 View Post
    There are Sansui and Pioneer within budget but then perhaps not the ones to be looking at.

There is a nice Pioneer SA8800 for around the money I’m looking for but it’s in Preston.

My issue with spending more or even like SA9800 money (£1500) is that the end of the day, it’s a 40 year old (+) amp and for that cash there are better options to be had with modern equipment.

Looks like I’ll have to rethink.
    Indeed, but there's a certain nostalgic joy to be had running a beautiful looking vintage amp that not only performs as good as if not better than many modern amps, but its physical presence with those wooden side panels and lots of knobs and switches is irresistible. A modern black or silver box just doesn't compare in that respect.

I'm Kevin.

I'm with Steve on this. I've had some very high end amps over the years but a year or so ago when in an 'in between' period acquired a vintage Sony TA5650 Vfet as an interim measure. I was astounded at how good this amp was. Curiosity aroused I chanced across a Yamaha CA2010. Again, ��. There's a vid on YouTube reviewing the CA2010 against its modern equivalent. Check it out, speaks volumes. I've 2 vinyl sources. LP12/Aro/Troika, Garrard 301/SME309/DVXXII. They're both far from uncomfortable hooked up to these amps.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by KJM View Post
    I'm with Steve on this. I've had some very high end amps over the years but a year or so ago when in an 'in between' period acquired a vintage Sony TA5650 Vfet as an interim measure. I was astounded at how good this amp was. Curiosity aroused I chanced across a Yamaha CA2010. Again, ��. There's a vid on YouTube reviewing the CA2010 against its modern equivalent. Check it out, speaks volumes. I've 2 vinyl sources. LP12/Aro/Troika, Garrard 301/SME309/DVXXII. They're both far from uncomfortable hooked up to these amps.
    I've also owned a Sony TA5650 VFET amp and the power section, particularly, is absolutely astonishing.

I now own a Denon PMA-850 and don't know of a modern day amp , at a remotely affordable price, that comes anywhere near it.

Top end vintage stuff is amazing vfm.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewithnodrive View Post
    I've also owned a Sony TA5650 VFET amp and the power section, particularly, is absolutely astonishing.
    I had one, lovely sounding amp. I'd like to try a TA-8650.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast