+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best valve amp for Tannoy 15" DCs (up to £3k?)

I'm John.

Default Best valve amp for Tannoy 15" DCs (up to £3k?)

Any recommendations? Sound preference nimble and detailed rather than warm/heavy sounding, plenty of bass already from these DCs. Listening levels low to moderate (<80db avg). Preferably balanced input, no buzzes or hums or other weirdness. Can be either an integrated or a power amp. Not completely discounting class A s/s options, but prefer something with valve fluidity and texture. Budget ideally under £3k, unless the very best option is just over (some flexibilty). Long term reliability, parts availability and serviceability important too. Thx.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I haven't tried it, maybe someone here has, an OTL would fit the bill for your sound preferences. I just don't know how they sound with Tannoys.

Something from here-

https://www.transcendentsound.com/products-.html

Had and built a few of these and they have all been excellent, and very quiet too.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Would need to be the higher power amps, if it were me id go for these-

https://www.transcendentsound.com/beast-jr.html

Pretty sure would be a great sounding combination.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm David.

Best valve amp is definitely a Radford sta100 or TT100. There's not many around but worth hanging on for. Meanwhile a Radford sta 25 could be got as a stop gap and might end up there permanently. I haven't heard the OTL Ali mentioned, but in general remain to be convinced by multiple pairs of output tubes.

Other amps that may work well include the so called Copper Amp and a Jean Hiraga

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I'm Philip.

Audio Note Oto SE is well worth putting on your list , I used one with my 12" Chatsworths and it was exactly as you described . Your budget my get the better signature version .

I'm John.

What's different between the STA100 and STA25?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by oktapod View Post
    What's different between the STA100 and STA25?
    The STA100 uses KT88s for the output pair, producing up to 100W/channel; the STA25 uses EL34 output pentodes, producing 25W/channel.
    Barry

I'm ian.

I have Transcendent sound t16 monoblocks
    40w per channel with spare valves

I'm Andrew.

You can try the SondeX s100 which is a Radford sta100.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    You can try the SondeX s100 which is a Radford sta100.
    I thought the Sondex was based on the tt100-solid state front end? Either way it would drive them nicely

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast