+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thorens TD 160B MkII running fast?

I'm Steven.

Default Thorens TD 160B MkII running fast?

Recently picked up Thorens TD 160B MkII and decided to check the speed using an android app called RPM Speed and Wow.
    On the 33 setting I get a speed reading of between 33.8rpm and 40rpm, 45rpm is fast as well. I have ordered a new belt, could arrive today, but this seems a bit high!

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks,
    Steve

I'm Grant.

belt too tight maybe.. they are inclined to run slightly fast, but not enough to be audible.. think it was designed that way to take acount ot belt stretch.
    But your belt could be dodgy, the motors are often 220v so if mains is significantly higher its possible for it to speed up a bit
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The Thorens 160 turntables use a 2-phase synchronous motor, so should only depend on the mains frequency.

A new belt is certainly worth trying.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

indeed although ive found the voltage did make a difference. when i set my output to 220v it worked a lot better, although it may have been the 50hz and i imagined it. its rare fore our mains to flucuate wildly hz wise.also check the platter is rotating freely without belt attached
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by smg1965uk View Post
    On the 33 setting I get a speed reading of between 33.8rpm and 40rpm
    Sorry got the speed wrong, should be 'between 33.8rpm and 34rpm' doh!

I'm Grant.

1 rpm isnt drastic.. you might hear it, most probably wont.. yes try a belt and check its free running with no belt, and not grinding noises
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steven.

No grinding from the motor, the unit seems near mint actually. I downloaded and printed a 50hz strobe sheet and found it very hard to judge, my eyes or the printing quality must be at fault, but did look fast. I also went a step further and drew a big arrow on a sheet of paper using software for pixel accuracy and printed that off. I taped it down and counted the revolutions with a stopwatch and got 34rpm also.

I'm gonna clean the platter and motor spindle with meths to clean off any crud from the old belt.

Thanks,
    Steve

I'm Geoff.

If it sounds OK, I'd not worry personally.

Belt and idler TTs are seldom spot on.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steven.

I'm probably being a bit obsessive, probably due to growing up using my father's Garrard 401, will test again when I get the new belt hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Steve

I'm Geoff.

I've had several Thorens turntables and always found them nice sounding and never been aware of speed issues unless the belt was tired or dirty.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast