+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you an "Audiophile"?

I'm Rob.

Dictionary Definition :

Meaning of audiophile in English
    a person who is very interested in and enthusiastic about equipment for playing recorded sound, and its quality:
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Dictionary Definition :

Meaning of audiophile in English
    a person who is very interested in and enthusiastic about equipment for playing recorded sound, and its quality:
    Funny I was just about to post that too, so I am an audiophile and presumably most of us here must be as well, unless any of us do not care how good or bad their music sounds on whatever medium or system they listen with.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Geoff.

You can be interested in music and good quality equipment and not be an audiophile. My dad was an example.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Rob.

Well I was going to edit Post #16......but now I am Confused of Surrey

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You can be interested in music and good quality equipment and not be an audiophile. My dad was an example.
    So Geoff did your Dad not fall into any of the descriptors in this wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audiophile?Or in other words words did he just like music and was not bothered how it sounded or was reproduced? Did he just like audio equipment that was well built/designed or was aesthetically pleasing and not really bothered about how it sounded?
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Laurie.

Isnt audiophile just a posh way of saying hobbyist, a music lover perhaps but not necessarily.
    Best mate is musician and music nut, plays huge scratched vinyl collection on a 50 year old pioneer pl12 thru quad 33 303 and awful celestion monitors, sounds cack, he doesn’t give a toss. Most musicians I’ve met are happy with very prosaic sounding kit.
    I think there a very male element of ocd involved in the best systems, audio trainspotters! Stamp collectors?

I'm Geoff.

He was a world class electronics engineer, but he said Hi-Fi was nonsense and stereo was a gimmick. At the time of his death in 1964, he had been using a good Garrard autochanger deck, home built valve amp and 12" Rola full range speaker in suitable box! Needless to say it was a mono system
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm David.

"I am definitely not an Audiophile". So what are you Puffin, and what you doing on this forum if you are not an hifi enthusiast?
    It is perfectly ok to be 'as cheap as chips' audiophile

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    It is perfectly ok to be 'as cheap as chips' audiophile
    Yes, that will do nicely.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    He was a world class electronics engineer, but he said Hi-Fi was nonsense and stereo was a gimmick. At the time of his death in 1964, he had been using a good Garrard autochanger deck, home built valve amp and 12" Rola full range speaker in suitable box! Needless to say it was a mono system
    Back in the day some of those Garrards sounded pretty good, I had one in a so called portable which made nice music. Nothing wrong with mono if produced well, and from what you say your Dad probably made a good amp and feed a decent speaker for a good SQ.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast