+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nearfield listening with full range floorstanders - bad idea?

I'm paul.

My listening room 9' X 7' with a vaulted ceiling, well treated with 4' X 2' absorption panels at first reflection on walls and ceiling plus three panels behind the sofa, two flat on the wall and the third angled from wall to ceiling, speakers are tqwt 900 X 300 X 450 deep with 10" full range drivers. Sound is superb, deep, textured controlled bass, clean midrange and treble. I sit 2' from the treated back wall, speaker baffles approx 2' from front wall, so 5' from speakers.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Gary.

Thanks for the replies Gents, great to get different experiences on “best practice” setup.

All our rooms are different of course, so For my sins been doing some further light reading on room dimensions and speaker interaction.
    Not something I’ve spent much time on in the past tbh, usually just go with manufacturers recommendations.

Looked at the Cardas method, golden triangle and all that good stuff, but I think the one that makes most sense to me and my room is the setup guide by Dynaudio?

Spent some time tonight with this video and the measuring tape, and have to say I can really notice the difference bringing the speakers out more from the back wall.
    Not just the soundstage being less “stuck” to the wall, but the directness and imaging being quite improved?
    Also, getting the front plane of the drive units out in front of the rack sitting between them has improved the imaging a fair bit.
    Wondered if it would.

The H2’s are getting some work done atm, so have my Dali Zensor 5s in the system.
    Even though these are smaller and front ported, I can tell the benefit of less reflected bass from the back wall muddying up the image.
    Will have more effect I’d think with rear firing speakers.
    Great stuff, worth taking the time this stuff, and good to know going forward.

Heres the Dynaudio setup video, their main starting point is to measure your room Dimensions.
    From there, move speakers 1/5th that distance from front and side walls, and move your listening position the same 1/5 off the back wall.
    One major thing I’d been getting wrong in the past is measuring distance from the back of the speaker cabinet to the wall?
    No, from a Central point on the plane of the tweeter, on the front baffle.

Great video, and having tried out these and some other recommendations can recommend them.

Last edited by Gazjam; 17-06-2020 at 21:31.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Laurie.

Fifths [thirds for big rooms] has been best for even thin rooms for me. If you can move rack to side , makes mega difference on soundstage. Also allows speakers to breathe, sounds odd but any large heavy objects nearby such as boundaries, Chairs etc drag image off centre and deflect and absorb sound[ unevenly] . Rack also prone to ringing if to close to wall or corner, and esp in between speakers, I put a heavy rug behind rack when in central position.
    Use to think bit of a faff, but having treated room [front and back bass traps, side panels and central absorber, rack on side wall] it’s a different league, aural picture is scary clear detail wallop, 3D soundstage. Compared to new kit treating room is cheap.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Flo View Post
    Fifths [thirds for big rooms] has been best for even thin rooms for me. If you can move rack to side , makes mega difference on soundstage. Also allows speakers to breathe, sounds odd but any large heavy objects nearby such as boundaries, Chairs etc drag image off centre and deflect and absorb sound[ unevenly] . Rack also prone to ringing if to close to wall or corner, and esp in between speakers, I put a heavy rug behind rack when in central position.
    Use to think bit of a faff, but having treated room [front and back bass traps, side panels and central absorber, rack on side wall] it’s a different league, aural picture is scary clear detail wallop, 3D soundstage. Compared to new kit treating room is cheap.
    Spot on, agree completely.

(If you can) Treatment unleashes the true potential of our kit. I often wonder how much peoples rooms are holding their hifi's back. Of course its not viable to be putting up panels and rearranging the furniture for most of us but once you've heard the difference it's difficult to go back.

Admittedly I've only had 'proper' treatment in place for a relatively short time (my old room was acoustically very sympathetic, this one is not) but the difference was dramatic.

Once the room is sorted THEN the $$$$ cables and cartridges begin to make sense . . . . maybe.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    My listening room 9' X 7' with a vaulted ceiling, well treated with 4' X 2' absorption panels at first reflection on walls and ceiling plus three panels behind the sofa, two flat on the wall and the third angled from wall to ceiling, speakers are tqwt 900 X 300 X 450 deep with 10" full range drivers. Sound is superb, deep, textured controlled bass, clean midrange and treble. I sit 2' from the treated back wall, speaker baffles approx 2' from front wall, so 5' from speakers.
    Do you really mean feet? That's a very small room for those speakers isn't it?

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Do you really mean feet? That's a very small room for those speakers isn't it?

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk
    yes, you would think so and my mate visited from St Leonards and admitted that he was expecting it to sound rubbish and was very surprised how good it sounds. I've not heard better anywhere and some very high end kit. My speakers are Lii audio crystal 10 in tqwt with a Bakoon 11r. Normal levels 75-80db and sometimes 90db and all very controlled, no boomy bass. When I moved my kit back from France where I had a barn I decided not to have it in the lounge especially when the wife retired from work and I didn't have day time to listen so I built a garden room. If you use Facebook I have several videos in the Lii Audio Speakers and Drivers Team group.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Ian.

I have my impulses sitting on a tile foam tile deflex combo. Smooth tikebto the carpet allows me to slide them about to try different set ups. But they work great in corners and flst against the walls so dissappear in the room relative to open space positioning

I'm John.

I listen at about 7-8ft with my Tannoy XT 6F's. Appreciate they're not high end but I think they're a very good speaker with the right components upstream

I have also always had a pretty well sorted full digital setup on my PC running to some Adam Audio active monitors which are ruthlessly revealing but smooth with a ribbon tweeter. Listend at anything from 2-4ft to full room.

Both, to me, are wonderful but the Tannoys are better on the end of the vinyl rig without a doubt. There is a fullness to the spectrum and soundstage that i miss when going to far back from the performance if that makes sense.

We all have our own ears i suppose
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Home built PC driving Adam Audio 7 Active Monitors from Asus Xonar Essence STX.

I'm Dennis.

Which ADAMs do you have John?

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Which ADAMs do you have John?
    I have Adam A7 originals. Had them for a long time and have even had both main drivers replaced after failure as I just love the sound they make for very nearfield listening.

They have never ever caused ear fatigue and I beleive its the ribbon tweeter.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Home built PC driving Adam Audio 7 Active Monitors from Asus Xonar Essence STX.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast