+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nearfield listening with full range floorstanders - bad idea?

I'm Gary.

Default Nearfield listening with full range floorstanders - bad idea?

Mulling over a few speaker and speaker placement options going forward...

Including having speakers further out from the wall then I've been used to, say 85cm - 1m, which obviously encroaches into the room more.

Room size is ok, even if speakers out a metre from the back wall, the space from speaker plane to listening position would still be greater than the distance between the speakers, so the "Triangle" setup would still be intact.

Speakers closer to my ears though so perhaps a bit more "nearfield" than before?
    Any comments on this?

Assuming rear ported speakers:
    Thinking in terms of reduced bass reflections from bigger back wall distance(good) vs. possibly worse bass reflections with reduced distance from speaker to wall behind the listening position. (bad)

My sofa is up against the back wall and cant be moved forward.

Thanks.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Why don't you "suck it and see"? Admittedly the Impulses are heavy speakers, but I'm sure you could manage.
    Barry

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Nearfield listening can be very rewarding, with the right speakers, for eg, i sit about 7 feet away from my Tannoy's, and they work fine, although i know from experience that some speakers are more fussy as to their positioning, but as Barry said, just suck it and see, you may be surprised!
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Gary.

I'll give it a whirl, thanks guys.

I know many Japanese Audiophile types they have crazy big speakers in tiny rooms, and sit feet away from them, they seem quite happy!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Chris.

In my short experience, near-field is more satisfying.

Big room, distant listening position, big speakers, powerful amp can make for a huge, impressive sound, but get near-field right and its just so much more intimate.
    The 'triangle' rule is a good starting point but 5 inches forward or back can make a lot of difference. That includes speakers and listening position.

Always good to pull the speakers into the room a bit. Audio Note's and a few other 'corner designs' excepted.

DO IT!
    Last edited by Opti-cal; 17-06-2020 at 18:16.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Adrian.

Hi Gary

The Impulses are that much affected by being near a rear wall, or that's how I found them, I think this is due to them being bass downward firing. I would start with them very close, then sit in your listening position and listen then bring forward an inch or so and listen to the same track again, keep do so making a note of where you are when you like start to like it most, I suspect there will be a point when moving them to near to you will create secondary reflections and enhance to low end.

If you want to be more scientific, download REW and plug in a USB mic to the laptop, position this where you head would normally be when listening, and then take sweep measurements from 20 -20Khz. You will need a lead to take the sound from the Laptop to the auxiliary input of you amp. You can then measure at each position and compare the results and choose the best position. From my understanding ideally you want your head to be at the bottom of the equilateral triangle, so if your speakers are 10' apart, then from each speaker to your head should measure 10' as well. http://mh-audio.nl/Calculators/SpeakerPlacing.html this may help

However I have found that this is easily compromised by what else is in the room and how much reflective surfaces there are, such as large windows or patio doors. For instance our room is 22' by 11'6, a typical long lounge, I have found that by having the speakers 3' out, to the front of the speaker, from the front facing wall and slightly toed in and me sitting either at the equalateral triangle or at double that distance from the speakers I can get a good sound, however the bass definition is slightly compromised when further away, but is acceptable.

Have fun.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

A friend of mine uses Impulse H2 speakers. They are about 2m from a rear wall, about 2m apart and very close to the wall at the sides. His listening position is about 3m away. The speakers are toed in so that the front face of each speaker is 'square on' to the listener.

There is no curtailment of bass or definition, but the stereo imaging could be better.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

My speakers are pretty large floorstanders, I have them about half a metre from their backs to the rear wall, and I have found they sound best to me when I'm about 1.5 metres from the plane of the speakers (they are about 2.4 metres apart). Does indeed sound intimate, with instruments well defined too. Unfortunately that listening position means my big fat head would block Mrs. P's view of the telly.

I have a recliner chair against the opposite wall, where the bass is much greater (boundary reinforcement?) This is great fun with some electronic music, but not really "correct" and ultimately tiring. I choose my seating position according to music choice, mood, and whether Mrs. Pony is in the house

Bottom line is try different positions till you find what YOU like. And if that means listening from outside in the garden, so be it
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Laurie.

Try positioning using Cardas method, done using golden ratios. Speakers end up long way into room but gives a near field presentation, amazing soundstage. Like mega headphones.
    Personally generally find most rooms will work dividing length by 3 or 5 and placing speakers and chair on these points, in my room 17ft by 12ft, room therefore= 200in” so speakers front baffle is 40in from back wall and 36 from side, chair is positioned so I’m 40in from rear wall. Has worked in most rooms, I’m lucky? I live alone so no spouse to please.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    I'll give it a whirl, thanks guys.

I know many Japanese Audiophile types they have crazy big speakers in tiny rooms, and sit feet away from them, they seem quite happy!
    They don't tend to be big three or four way speakers though. Usually Tannoys or single driver types. A Tannoy will work well in a box room and with you sat at any distance.

I think big multi-ways, that's the only type where near-field doesn't work very well. There's got to be a bit of distance for all the different sound sources to gel together. Say 6 foot minimum.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast