+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting an old new turntable

I'm Mike.

I've always liked the look of the TD160 B MkII

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Steve.

I used to have a Grace G707 with Nagaoka MP11 Boron. Seemed to work well, and pretty vintage
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I used to have a Grace G707 with Nagaoka MP11 Boron. Seemed to work well, and pretty vintage
    I'm getting rid of the Pro-Ject TT that i have at the moment to make way for this little project but i'll be keeping the Dynavector 10x5 so a cart wont be an issue, plus this Dynavector in one guise or another has been around since the late 70's so of the same vintage nearly.

BTW when can i expect a visit Steve I think the Kralks will impress you and I should get my hands on the Primaluna very soon

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    I'm getting rid of the Pro-Ject TT that i have at the moment to make way for this little project but i'll be keeping the Dynavector 10x5 so a cart wont be an issue, plus this Dynavector in one guise or another has been around since the late 70's so of the same vintage nearly.

BTW when can i expect a visit Steve I think the Kralks will impress you and I should get my hands on the Primaluna very soon
    I've sent you a PM Mike.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Chris.

Hi chaps,

Sorry late to this thread as usual. I decided I wanted to do the same 6 months ago and found a one owner completely original 1979 LP12 with Basik PSU and IMHO the very underrated ADC ALT-1 tonearm at a Linn dealer who had completely re-built, serviced and set it up and were selling on behalf of a deceased customers estate and so at a very reasonable price. All I had to do was replace the knackered A&R P77 cart with a new AT-VM95e clean it all up and it sounds fantastic.

If you are patient there are some nice new old turntables out there.

Good luck with the search

Chris

I'm Mike.

The TT is already sourced now thanks to Mik Rik and the TD160 in its standard form is just begging to be upgraded, simple stuff like a better quality plinth and a better base plate improve the sound no end as does adding bitumen damping and in essence turns the TD160 into a TD160 Super as these were the improvements Thorens made themselves to the deck in its final incarnation. Other things i want to do apart from service and setup are replacing the Thorens arm for something a bit better and replacing the top plate and i might even look at adding a thrust baring to the motor and maybe look rearranging the wiring. Should keep me busy for a little while, i can't wait.

I'm Geoff.

Don't get rid of the original Thorens platter mat. Try others if you want, but you may well find the original sounds best.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Don't get rid of the original Thorens platter mat. Try others if you want, but you may well find the original sounds best.
    I won't be chucking anything especially the mat

I'm Mike.

Well i picked the old new TT up yesterday from Mik Rik, it was good to be back in the north east even if it was only for a brief visit and it was good to meet up with Mick again as we usually only bump into each other at NEBO bake offs, hopefully i'll get this TD160 sorted before the next one.

So i've ordered some new bits and spent a few hours today stripping the TT down to it's bones, i'm not keeping the arm as i never liked it so it's been removed along with the motor and top plate, it looks like someones had a go at balancing this in the past and the suspension is way off but at least it's in good condition, no rusty springs or split grommets so once the new plinth arrives getting it balanced will be among the first jobs. The motor looks to be in good condition and it looks like someone has tried oiling it and has got some of the oil on the plastic pulley assembly, i don't fancy taking this off and cleaning it as there's an incredibly small retaining clip holding everything together but it's honestly going to bug the shit out of me so i'm just going to have to be careful and take my time,

To be honest i've been looking for something like this to keep me occupied for a while and most things i can do myself however I'd like to get the rim of the platter polished but as i don't have the tools to do it myself i was wondering if anyone knows a guy that can do this sort of thing?

I'm Mike.

So the deck is finished well apart from the armboard which i'm not happy with and some screw caps, here's a few photo's

[IMG]IMG_2454 by mike davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2455 by mike davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2453 by mike davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast