+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting an old new turntable

I'm Mike.

Default Thinking about getting an old new turntable

Ok so i'm looking for a little advice which I may or may not take I guess, basically I've got it in my head that I need another turntable, I wan't something from the 70's or 80's which i can upgrade the tonearm on and can still find parts for, i quite fancy a Thorens TD160 B Mk2 or Super with the SME 3009 Mk2 arm as i had a B Mk2 many years ago and i wish my now ex missus hadn't thrown it in the skip while I was away on business but that's another story.

So i've been looking in the usual places the Thorens vary in price quite a bit, i've looked at the LP12 and it's just too expensive, is there anything else i should keep an eye out for, as i've said i don't want to be getting something that can't be fixed if there is an issue with it so i'd guess most of the Jap DD turntables are out of the question, so what should i be looking for?

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm John.

I have an Ariston RD80SL with Linn LVx, which I'm looking to move on also have a spare plinth, they're very capable decks. Only reason for moving it on is I've been offered a mint Thorens TD166 complete with box packing and manual, to partner my all 80s 2nd system.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk
    Money may not make me happy.
    But it helps me afford the kind of misery I prefer.

SYSTEM 1:

Analogue.
    Brinkmann Bardo / 12" OL Enterprise Mk4 / Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum /BigBottle mk3 /MFA Baby Reference Pre/Nord One UP SE NC500M/Martin Logan Summit

Digital.
    Docet Lector CDP-7TL mkiii/Pimped Bluesound Node2 + BOTW SBooster Lps/ Pimped Mk1 Jolida Fx Glass DAC.

Wires etc.
    Audioplan Musicable ICs & TQ Black ll SC, assorted branded kettle leads.
    Target TT shelf & Alphason 5 shelf rack.
    Power Inspired AG1500S mains regen.

SYSTEM 2: Back to the 80s.

Garrard 401, RB250, A&R P77Mg / Mk1 Marantz CD63 SE / Sony TC-FX150 / Sansui T500L / Cambridge Audio C50 + 2x A50 as bridged monos (mid 80s Stan Curtis's design) / or KEF 104ab/ Original 80s Monster Cable IC, DNM SC / Target 5 shelf rack.

SPARE KIT:
    A&R E77Mg
    Ortofon 2M Silver + Blue stylus
    Philips CD600
    Arcam Alpha 8P
    Pro-Ject DacBox S FL
    CCA
    FiiO Taishan
    Heybrook HB1 S2
    Q Acoustics 3050

I'm Ian.

A Lenco. Easy to service, plenty of spares and a fair number of 3rd party upgrades. In stock form it's good, replinthed it's a superb record player.

I'm Geoff.

Go with what you know and get another TD160. They're excellent decks and parts are easy to find.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Yup the 160 mk2 is a great deck. put a new plinth on etc and its a damn good deck; well mine was..a looker too. You could look out for a jbe slatedeck too.. its a very nice deck too. i enjoy mine when in use.. not much to go wrong with either and both take a 3009 easily
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Wasn't there a big hoohaa about Ariston and Linn back in the day? are spares easy enough to get hold of?

I've never considered a Lenco, probably because i know absolutely nothing about them, i'll do some research.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Wasn't there a big hoohaa about Ariston and Linn back in the day? are spares easy enough to get hold of?

I've never considered a Lenco, probably because i know absolutely nothing about them, i'll do some research.
    I doubt you'd find new parts for an Ariston. The Lencos are really nice, but may require more fettling than a Thorens. In good standard trim, I'd say they are equally decent.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

[IMG]IMG_0457 by , on Flickr[/IMG]

My one looked like this after fettling
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Paul.

For what they cost you can't beat a well setup TD-160, they can be often had for quite a bit less than $£€200, I paid £145 For mine a few years ago, if I was to buy something similar new I would probably need to look north of 2 grand, just look at what Thorens current equivalent their TD1600 costs and that's just a modern 160.

New is not always better just different and new, I know that is sometimes more important.

It's also nice to be able to say that excellent sounding turntable is 45 years or more old now.

Some say the tonearm is it's weak point but to improve it needs a very expensive arm, so in reality it's not that bad after all if you have to spend a grand or more to do better.

Obviously others will have a differing view
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Go with what you know and get another TD160. They're excellent decks and parts are easy to find.
    +1
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast