+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry Pi 3B+ Wi-Fi help

I'm Bill.

Default Raspberry Pi 3B+ Wi-Fi help

Just need a bit of advice regarding Wi-Fi.

I have a RP and an Allo Boss v1.2 in a Allo aluminium case, all was working perfectly until I moved it upstairs and now have intermittent connection issues - sometimes Volumio will connect, more often than not it won't.

I can't get an ethernet cable to it, so was thinking about adding a Wi-Fi dongle to help improve things.

Is this likely to help?
    Can anyone recommend one?
    Is it easy to set up?

Cheers for any help
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm Alastair.

Try a mesh range extender. I recently bought a Netgear EX6410, which has a 1Gbps Ethernet Lan socket you can connect the Pi to.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

I'm Grant.

it might help.. ali cases can cause wifi issues if signal is already weak. My digione is in an ali box and i always use ethernet... its ugly solution sometimes but can always be disconnected when not in use..(maybe not in yours tho)
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

Raspberry Pi 3B+ has Wifi on the card already and it is not likely that adding a Wifi Dongle which is used to add Wifi via USB port will improve things. Firstly I presume you are able to find your player already so it is connecting to your Wifi network ? If so then it is likely that the new place it is using has problems . One option would be to add a WiFi extender and then connect your Pi to that . This does work in my house for the kitchen items I use an Edimax but there are plenty of others available.

Now I am going to make this suggestion but you can feel free to ignore it and I will wait for torrent of abuse it will generate. For most of my music players all Raspberry Pi based I use Netgear Powerline units. These enable me to get wired ethernet connection to all of them and give me a rock solid connection . They work for me and I have no incidence of additional noise in the mains that i can hear through any of the sytems. This is just my experience with my house , my mains and my equipment and my ears and my music yours may be different but it will be a solution to getting a good connection .

I'm Lawrence.

That's a sound plan, the alternative is to run it out of the case and see if it works ok. If so just buy a plastic case that they fit in (assuming one is made, if not there's 3D printing like the one sold on here recently, or was it another forum?).

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bencat View Post

Now I am going to make this suggestion but you can feel free to ignore it and I will wait for torrent of abuse it will generate. For most of my music players all Raspberry Pi based I use Netgear Powerline units. These enable me to get wired ethernet connection to all of them and give me a rock solid connection . They work for me and I have no incidence of additional noise in the mains that i can hear through any of the sytems. This is just my experience with my house , my mains and my equipment and my ears and my music yours may be different but it will be a solution to getting a good connection .
    Similarly, I use D-Link powerline units, not to get ethernet to the RPI but to extend it upstairs and because it is better than having the TV hogging the Wifi when streaming so it is hard wired. I have listened to my hifi system with the power lines on and off and cannot hear any difference to the sound quality.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Bill.

Thanks for your help chaps, much appreciated!

I'll take a look at Wi-Fi extenders and Power lines, in the meantime I have turned my router off and on and now getting a fairly consistent connection - only 19.5mbs though, but appears to be working.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourneendboy View Post
    Thanks for your help chaps, much appreciated!

I'll take a look at Wi-Fi extenders and Power lines, in the meantime I have turned my router off and on and now getting a fairly consistent connection - only 19.5mbs though, but appears to be working.
    Take it out if the box and see what the speed is, if much better you want a plastic box.

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Take it out if the box and see what the speed is, if much better you want a plastic box.

Good advise.
    If it works out of the metal case, use an external WiFi dongle.
    I do this as a matter of course anyway, I have WiFi/Bluetooth turned off on the Pi4B, inside a metal case and with the proximity of the transmitter to audio components on the Pi board, they are just noise generators. With the weakening of the signal in a metal case and the opportunity to introduce noise with the built in transmitter. Companies building Pi's into their DAC's/Streamers usually advise switching the onboard WiFi/Bluetooth off, OKTO Research suggest this on their site, as an example. So it's something else to consider.

I'm Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    That's a sound plan, the alternative is to run it out of the case and see if it works ok. If so just buy a plastic case that they fit in (assuming one is made, if not there's 3D printing like the one sold on here recently, or was it another forum?).

That case cost me £50 if I remember correctly, it's not going anywhere

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast