+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speaker setup

I'm frank.

Interesting idea/subject!

I don't think the wavefronts meeting 'earlier' is an issue.

AIUI The toe in is not designed to modify the frequency response at the ears but to shift the position of and delay the first reflection.
    Within the parameters of the adjustment, the horizontal dispersion of the speakers ideally should be the pretty much same at the off axis position as on axis(in terms of freq response) so all things being equal the interference patterns of the spherical wavefronts would be no different. You could argue it's when the toe in sounds wrong that you have exceeded the coverage pattern of the speakers and may well then shift the position of the +/- interference locations in space. I'm blessed with the conical dispersion of Tannoy Dual Concentric so tend not to worry too much about weird of axis response/phase issues of more conventional arrangements.
    Last edited by cooky; 26-01-2021 at 07:50. Reason: clarification

I'm Rockabilly.

Default Ah, I get it.

Thanks Frank, that's improved my comprehension.
    Johnny Dodgem.

Cartridges vintage MMs including Pickering xsv-4000/xsv-3000 : Stanton 881s/D81 : AT140LC/VMN40ML
    Spinners hot rod 1210 (Jelco 750D, Origami, Ammonite, Longdog, Vantage, Achromats) : Pye G63 & Garrard AT6 : Two full custom Lencos : Kenwood KD-650D
    Streaming Qobuz : BluOS & Node2 (Fidelity Audio modified) : RME ADI-2 DAC
    Pre-amps Tron Seven (GT modified) : Conrad Johnson EV1 : Croft Micro 25 : Decware ZStage
    Power Amps PrimaLuna ProLogue 5 (KT120) : PrimaLuna ProLogue 4 (KT77)
    Speakers The Edingdale : Meadowlark Hot Rod Shearwater

I'm Rockabilly.

Johnny Dodgem.

Cartridges vintage MMs including Pickering xsv-4000/xsv-3000 : Stanton 881s/D81 : AT140LC/VMN40ML
    Spinners hot rod 1210 (Jelco 750D, Origami, Ammonite, Longdog, Vantage, Achromats) : Pye G63 & Garrard AT6 : Two full custom Lencos : Kenwood KD-650D
    Streaming Qobuz : BluOS & Node2 (Fidelity Audio modified) : RME ADI-2 DAC
    Pre-amps Tron Seven (GT modified) : Conrad Johnson EV1 : Croft Micro 25 : Decware ZStage
    Power Amps PrimaLuna ProLogue 5 (KT120) : PrimaLuna ProLogue 4 (KT77)
    Speakers The Edingdale : Meadowlark Hot Rod Shearwater

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by camtwister View Post
    I've experienced comb filtering in the bass when operating PA systems in the open air, with multiple driver arrays, at listening distances that are significant with respect to wavelength.)
    Where was that, Glastonbury?

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Rockabilly.

Nope, not Glastonbury.
    One of the most memorable text book examples of it was at the Sonoria Festival in Parco Aquatica, Milan.

I'm frank.

That animation is neat, I found this online too https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/reso...e-interference

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by camtwister View Post
    Nope, not Glastonbury.
    One of the most memorable text book examples of it was at the Sonoria Festival in Parco Aquatica, Milan.
    Nice, hope you got to enjoy the show

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Graham.

I was looking for where to post the link to "LOTS" this is a detailed lesson in speaker placement, which I think is very interesting. Incidentally "A British Audiophile" also thought it very good and helpful, he made a comment. Here#s the link:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyTkwkK8ON0 (GrahamFP)

I'm winston.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamFP View Post
    I was looking for where to post the link to "LOTS" this is a detailed lesson in speaker placement, which I think is very interesting. Incidentally "A British Audiophile" also thought it very good and helpful, he made a comment. Here#s the link:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyTkwkK8ON0 (GrahamFP)
    A little fast and loose with the maths (.4 of a foot = 4 inches? etc ) but very interesting. I like the formulaic approach.
    May give it a try sometime but I have a small room and large speakers so am somewhat dictated to by the space limitations.
    Last edited by winstonmalcolm; 02-11-2021 at 13:21.

I'm Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky View Post
    Hmm, so tweeters radiate like lasers do they?
    think more like a torch beam ...most tweeters have a dispersion angle of about 6 degrees at full output and can fall off as much as 15db over 15 degrees off axis.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast