+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New DAC: Topping or Caiman SEG?

I'm Erlend.

Default New DAC: Topping or Caiman SEG?

I am strongly considering Topping D50s. My alternative would be the Caiman SEG. But doesn't look like much has happened on the Beresford website for a couple of years now, so I am wondering if the Caiman SEG is up to date. Thoughts are appreciated!

Edit: I see pretty recent posts here with Stanley mods, so maybe there is development going on with Beresford, it's just not very apparant on the website?

I'm Richard.

...a difficult one. I have the SEG (+ most mods) + the Dorado PS. I also bought, a few weeks ago, the new Topping E30 (with an iFi PS). I find it, at my ripe age almost impossible to tell them apart. Perhaps the SEG is a little more 'subtle'. The E30 is now in my 2nd system - (Rega Brio + iAcoustics 3021i - an absolute bargain now at £168 (in P+P) btw ).

Let us know how you get on...

R

I'm Erlend.

A plus with the Caiman are the 2 Toslink inputs. That way I can have everything that goes from / via the TV (Apple TV, Netflix, TV box etc) on one and an old Airport Express for Airplay 2 music streaming connected at the same time (the Beresford automatically switches to the input source where there is a signal coming).

The D50s only has one Toslink in. But is has Bluetooth 5.0. So I will probably have to use Toslink for TV and BT for music streaming and retire the old AE, if I go for the D50s. (LG TV only has audio out via optical or HDMIARC.)

Price wise pretty similar, D50s a bit cheaper than SEG + Dorado II.

I'm Avinash.

The world has really moved on in the kingdom of DACs. Have a look at the link embedded in my ad posted here for what is state of the art.
    https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...72#post1197272

I'm Robert.

I have both the D50s and the SEG. Both are good dacs but with the dorado I think the SEG is the more satisfying. Detail is not forced as much as the topping and gives a nice clear natural presentation, which in the longer term works out better if not always immediately impressive. Low bass also seems better controlled. I'm using it to drive my active speakers so the pre amp section may be giving it an advantage though, plus the S booster linear psu is probably overkill. The D50s does seem like it benefits from a good psu, an ifi ipower gave a fuller presentation but seemed a little bright and glary, at least in the headphone system. The aqvox linear psu seemed much more balanced. I am hoping to try an allo shanti psu soon, hopefully this will round things off nicely for the headphone rig.

If you are using the dac in living room the topping has the remote which is nice. The SEG has a headphone amp which is pretty respectable if you want to use headphones sometimes.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk
    Rob

I'm Ian.

What about the new Soncos at under £200

I'm Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by erlendh View Post
    A plus with the Caiman are the 2 Toslink inputs. That way I can have everything that goes from / via the TV (Apple TV, Netflix, TV box etc) on one and an old Airport Express for Airplay 2 music streaming connected at the same time (the Beresford automatically switches to the input source where there is a signal coming).

The D50s only has one Toslink in. But is has Bluetooth 5.0. So I will probably have to use Toslink for TV and BT for music streaming and retire the old AE, if I go for the D50s. (LG TV only has audio out via optical or HDMIARC.)

Price wise pretty similar, D50s a bit cheaper than SEG + Dorado II.
    I would not use BT for music streaming. Can you not just swop the cables over?

I'm Ian.

There is a used d50 on pink fish and i saw a seg somewhere too. With some haggling you could buy both and sell the one you liked least on.

I'm Erlend.

I've changed from Topping to considering the SMSL M500. It has two toslink inputs and that solves everything. However, the Caiman + Dorado II is about $80 cheaper ...

I'm Martyn.

I have a Caimen SEG/Dorado feed by the Optical out from an LGTV, Coax out from old Sony CD player, RPi streamer with Optical Digi HAT and Laptop FLAC files via USB.

As you can see it provides all I need for inputs, except BT that I can overcome if needed by diverting the RPi optical feed to a simple £20 AptX BT 5.0 box.

I have no personal experience of any alternative (Topping, SMSL etc), all I can say is the Beresford does all I need and the SQ (for me) is excellent. The only small quibble is lack of dedicated remote, but the inputs can be used to control feed & volume. (except CD).

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread