+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Burn in Joy

I'm Robert.

Default Burn in Joy

In April I received my Yannis Tome 423.5 Phono-Litz 'Plus'. The improved version of his fabulous 423.5 which i had previously.

Since then, my system now remains permanently switched on and tunes are run everyday.

It's been good, BUT there's been times when I've felt the presentation from my system has been a bit harsh and I've definitely on occasion felt it to be a bit tipped upwards, in the upper mid high frequency, Indeed it's caused me a fair bit of ear fatigue at times, a BIG no no for me.

So much so that it's had me analysing my system and looking and thinking about all it's component parts.

Could it be the combo of the Cadenza Black, with it's Fritz Gyger S re-tip, coupled with the Spendor D7's - both detail retrieval and recorded information retrieval champions, had I somehow over-egged the pudding ?

Were the pure silver Ortofon headshell leads to blame for the harshness ?

I'd also read on some forums / online etc, that whilst the D7 has many glowing reviews, some have found it's presentation a bit too forward and expressed some harshness too - I even contemplated moving the D7's on......

Non of it made any sense, as the D7's and the system had sounded wonderful, with the PD-91 taking over front end duty, whilst I had awaited the Phono-cable for the SP-10.

Anyway, I pondered and pondered and pondered, THEN ! the other day it dawned on me that the presentation had calmed down, the harshness had gone ! Not wanting to be premature or get my hopes up too high, I continued with the tunes through the evening / night as i do and it was fab !! The same tunes that sounded harsh and fatiguing were, and everything i spun had me going to bed with a big happy buzz, took me a while to get to sleep.

Today, as soon as the Mrs popped out, the albums were on and wow ! Presentation spot on, calm, non tizzy and the bass has clearly filled out, tuneful and textured.

And then it dawned on me - the last thing that went in, was the Yannis Phono cable. Now if there's a key ancillary, that's one right there. It's a serious and substantial cable too, one which Yannis has put a lot of time and attention to detail into, in regard to it's materials, construction and entire design.

I knew it would take a while to 'burn-in'/'break-in' but I'd just kind of forgot about all that, too caught up in music and playing tunes.

If I'm right, it's now done around the 130-150hrs mark hence the sudden disappearance of hash/harshness and filling out of bass and texture.

Had to share this to again express that patience in this game, and keeping your eye on the ball, in terms of where things are at with your system and what might be occurring as a result.

Oh and if you want / feel your system deserves an exceptional phono-cable, what is probably a last cable for most, then I cant recommend this superb phono-cable enough
    Last edited by RobbieGong; 13-06-2020 at 23:05.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I have to say I'm rather sceptical about cables burning in? Speakers and electronics yes but cables? Still if you're happy with it then that's all good.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    I have to say I'm rather sceptical about cables burning in? Speakers and electronics yes but cables? Still if you're happy with it then that's all good.
    Hi Chris, How you doin' ?

Yep, Way too much division, the world over, in hifi for us to start that never ending one up again.

This much is for sure, something settled - The Yannis phono-cable was the last thing in and new.

That said and comes to mind, is the re-tipped Cadenza B's FGS stylus profile, would be reaching over 150 plus hours also and could have come on song / fully broke in too. Either way I'm well pleased .....
    My System:
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Hi Chris, How you doin' ?

Yep, Way too much division, the world over, in hifi for us to start that never ending one up again.

This much is for sure, something settled - The Yannis phono-cable was the last thing in and new.

That said and comes to mind, is the re-tipped Cadenza B's FGS stylus profile, would be reaching over 150 plus hours also and could have come on song / fully broke in too. Either way I'm well pleased .....
    I'm doing fine thanks and got a week off work! So enjoying some tunes.
    Looks like you've really gone to town with your system and it's paying off handsomely, I thought about getting the SP10 myself but a bit of nostalgia got the better of me and now back with an old friend, the Voyd and am very happy I did.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    I'm doing fine thanks and got a week off work! So enjoying some tunes.
    Looks like you've really gone to town with your system and it's paying off handsomely, I thought about getting the SP10 myself but a bit of nostalgia got the better of me and now back with an old friend, the Voyd and am very happy I did.
    Time off and tunes, now ya talking ! Glad your'e enjoying the Voyd Chris
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

+ Reply to Thread