+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My journey

I'm John.

Default My journey

Hi all I'm John. I introduced myself in 2014 and felt it was time to tell my journey.
    It all started in 1980 and my first job in Ashton U Lyne near Manchester. Between the bus station and my place of work was an old fashioned type hi fi shop. Real family affair, father and son establishment. After passing the shop several hundred times I finally plucked up the courage to step inside. Remember I was only sixteen and the Not the Nine O'clock News sketch had filled me with dread! Talk about friendly, within ten minutes I was sat in front of a pair of Mordaunt Short Pageant, A&R Cambridge A60 and a Ariston RD11. The album was Supertramp Crime of the Century and I was literally dumbstruck. I had never heard music sound this way. That was it I wanted that sound and so began my hi fi journey. Within months I had a Thorens TD166, Nad 3020 and a pair of Mordaunt Short Carnival. Cartridge was Nagaoka MP11 with QED 79 strand.
    The turntable became an LP12, obviously it was the 80's! Naim, Exposure, Sugden and Quad amplifiers have come along. LInn, Ruark, ProAc, Kef and Usher speakers have all given me enjoyment.
    My current system consists of a Michell Orbe and Thorens TD2030 turntable, Primaluna pre and Quad QMP. Chord Qutest and Project RS transport. Speakers are Usher Dancer One. I still enjoy music and still play Crime of the Century all these years later!
    Tbh I sometimes wonder what that first ever system would sound like today?

My turntables:
    Last edited by sugdenfan; 13-06-2020 at 13:50. Reason: picture size

I'm Phil.

welcome , great album . my favourite is surely , their first album
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm John.

Hi Phil. Thanks for comment. I probably haven't moved on from the 70's. And my wife stuck in the 80's. We are red hot on music quizzes until we get to the 90's��.

I'm Geoff.

Hello John. Welcome to AOS.

Join in and chat with the members, it's a friendly place.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm John.

Hi Geoff, my goodness 43000 posts. I've probably read 43000 pages! I come on most nights and have a look at what people are saying. I enjoy that, especially the system page. It is such a fascinating hobby that I would imagine if you looked at all the systems of the community there would probably be no two alike. How I ended up with my system is a complete mystery! Regards John

I'm Geoff.

I'm not as prolific these days.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by sugdenfan View Post
    Hi Geoff, my goodness 43000 posts. I've probably read 43000 pages! I come on most nights and have a look at what people are saying. I enjoy that, especially the system page. It is such a fascinating hobby that I would imagine if you looked at all the systems of the community there would probably be no two alike. How I ended up with my system is a complete mystery! Regards John
    Yeah but us northerners would choose quality over quantity, like what this post is Welcome to AoS John
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS John.

Nice introduction, and nice system with which to start your journey. I used to use Sugden gear in the '70s, before transferring my allegiance elsewhere.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm John.

Thanks Barry, I was and probably still could be called a sugdenfan after all it is my username! I owned the au51 pre/power and phono. The power amp was a beast. Moved to the A21se and then the masterclass. Loved them all but couldn't resist valves, so now use primaluna. The new Sugden range looks amazing and I imagine sounds the same. A trip to Heckmondwike is like stepping through a time machine. Worth a visit.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Yes my first Sugden combination wasthe C51 pre with a home built power section of the A21 (a friend of mine knew Jim Sugden and was able to get the parts, boards and transformer for me at cost). Later I did the same with the A51, as 12.5W was insufficient for my Quad 57 speakers.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread