+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1970s - 1980s amp/receiver to go with my SP10 TT

I'm Mike.

Default 1970s - 1980s amp/receiver to go with my SP10 TT

I'm about to have my Technics SP10 MK2 Turntable up and running next week and an idea has popped into my head that it would be cool to have a similar age amp or receiver to go with it. I use Tannoy Berkeleys from 1975 so an older integrated amp/receiver would complete a classic era setup up?

Now, is it possible for said amp/receiver to compete with my Herron Audio VTSP-2a Pre amp and Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP Power amp combo? I doubt it, but reasonably close would be acceptable. Not sure if I'd sell or keep for a second system.

I'm thinking of going back to solid state, no idea why, just fancy something different and I've always had a soft spot for 1970s - 1980s amps/ receivers, looks wise anyway. Probably because that's when I started listening to music.

So far I've looked at the following amps.

Denon PMA-850 MKII amp

Marantz PM4 amp
    Marantz 2285 Receiver ( Love how this looks )

Sansui AU range ( my first amp was a 2200 )
    Sansui 919 amp ( not so nice looking )
    Sansui 999 amp

Now I've mostly been looking at these as some of them have a bit of a following on the forums. Feel free to add to my list of desirables.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by mikeyb; 13-06-2020 at 14:56.

I'm Nathan.

1 amplifier I keep putting back into my system is my Pioneer SA-8100. It seems to be my favourite amp, on par if not better than my Denon PMA-2020ae.

I'm Jonathan.

I believe Angus (Phonomac) has a soft spot for vintage Sansui.

I'm Shane.

Yamaha CR1000. Sounds nice, and has the nicest feeling controls I’ve ever encountered. Looks cool as well.

Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Graham.

Berkeley's need something with not too high a damping factor else they lose their bounce and energy. Similarly too low and the bass becomes woolly. I used a quad 405-2, however many people say the 303 is better suited to the HPD385. Though I realise its not a receiver.....

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I'm about to have my Technics SP10 MK2 Turntable up and running next week and an idea has popped into my head that it would be cool to have a similar age amp or receiver to go with it. I use Tannoy Berkeleys from 1975 so an older integrated amp/receiver would complete a classic era setup up?

Now, is it possible for said amp/receiver to compete with my Herron Audio VTSP-2a Pre amp and Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP Power amp combo? I doubt it, but reasonably close would be acceptable. Not sure if I'd sell or keep for a second system.

I'm thinking of going back to solid state, no idea why, just fancy something different and I've always had a soft spot for 1970s - 1980s amps/ receivers, looks wise anyway. Probably because that's when I started listening to music.

So far I've looked at the following amps.

Denon PMA-850 MKII amp

Marantz PM4 amp
    Marantz 2285 Receiver ( Love how this looks )

Sansui AU range ( my first amp was a 2200 )
    Sansui 919 amp ( not so nice looking )
    Sansui 999 amp

Now I've mostly been looking at these as some of them have a bit of a following on the forums. Feel free to add to my list of desirables.

Any thoughts?
    We'll agree to differ on that one Mike, Loved the look (and the sound of course), when one took pride of place, previously in my system...https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...sic-Maker-2017
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Mike.

I've recently bought a Sony ES amp from the late 80's sounds good especially the way it grips the bass and the build quality well lets just say "built like a tank"

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread