+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Never Judge a Book...

I'm Steve.

Default Never Judge a Book...

I bought an EAR 834P clone which needs 200 hrs burn in!!! So I wanted another phonostage to keep me going, so I bought this.

Looks a bit of mess, it’s a Little Bear that has undergone a lot of of mods, I opted to buy it and then thought what have I done???? How wrong can you be, it’s a sweet sounding phono, I’ve had a few stages lately but this is a little gem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

Indeed some of the DIYers have really gone to town on the 'little bear' stage. If properly done (as it sounds like this one has been despite the looks!) they can really hold their own against some more exotic competition. Was this the one with all Mundorf Evo (white) caps by any chance?

I also have an EAR clone. Done the caps in that and put some proper tubes in and I'm more than happy with its performance.

Good find.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Martin.

I'm not being funny but why would you not just listen to the EAR from the start?

I'm Steve.

It is the one with the white caps, it is so quiet. Just sorting out a new case for it. Did you have to burn in your EAR?

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH1960 View Post
    It is the one with the white caps, it is so quiet. Just sorting out a new case for it. Did you have to burn in your EAR?

Burn in is a phenomenon, more on some equipment than others. It sounded good straight out the box, it was still enjoyable so worth listening to I would say. Maybe 20% more so after 20 hours or so. Might just have been me getting used to the sound of course.

To be honest I sent it off to Mr Firebottle for some very worthwhile tweaks early into my tenure anyway so wasn't really thinking about it.

Putting an ECC82 (12au7) in V3 position on the board is very worthwhile too.

Here she is running Ei 12ax7's and an RCA 12au7 in V3 position.

- Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

I'm Steve.

I’m very dubious about burning in, 200 hrs is a long time, could take me all year, the amount I use my main system, it doesn’t sound great at the moment, the chap who built it is adamant it needs the 200 hrs?? I’m sure there’ll be tweaks along the way.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH1960 View Post
    I’m very dubious about burning in, 200 hrs is a long time, could take me all year, the amount I use my main system, it doesn’t sound great at the moment, the chap who built it is adamant it needs the 200 hrs?? I’m sure there’ll be tweaks along the way.

Yes I understand the skepticism totally. Like I say I've heard it (or thought I have!) with some components and zilch improvement with others.

Hmmm, if it doesn't sound that good in your system from the get go I would be surprised if it improved to a satisfactory level assuming it even does 'burn-in'.

Sorry that's probably not what you wanted to hear but I've owned a couple of the EAR clones and I was amazed how they sounded out the box. Even though it is highly modified and probably sounds great I'd be surprised if a good EAR clone didn't best the 'little bear' or at least get close to it.

You say someone built it? I've only bought them factory assembled and then modified from there so possibly not comparing apples with apples here.

Is it the classic clone like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3281...archweb201603_

Or the updated version like mine here:?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Finished-...UAAOSwhURZggYR

I'm Grant.

my quad vena required some burning in; especially the dac section which changed from mediocre to bloody good in a couple of months of running the whole amp
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Mines like the second one, but with the switch at the back, it’s vey veiled. I use a chap who sorts out my guitar amps, he’s the same, if it doesn’t sound good now, it won’t sound good in 200 hrs. I suppose I’ve got to go along with his advice. It’s a very well made piece of kit. I’ve ordered a reverse RIAA unit so I can run a CD player through it to sort it out !!!

I'm Chris.

Might be worth looking at the tubes in it too as these will definitely need to burn in if they are new.

I had one turn up with JJ tubes which were fine but were improved upon quite easily and another which had cheap chinese tubes in. Needless to say these went straight out.

If someone has built it for you I imagine he would have picked some okay tubes? Do you know what they are?

As I mentioned replacing V3 position with a 12au7 drops the noise floor significantly as well as other sonic improvements. I've had 'cheap' Electro Harmonix ones in there and they sounded great. NOS RCA's sound better though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast