+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bluesound Node 2i streamer

I'm Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by camtwister View Post
    I shove the ones and zeros from my Node2i into a Rega DAC.
    I use the BluOS app to listen to my Qobuz collection, internet radio and podcasts.
    It has replaced a Squeezebox Touch - my first love of the streaming type.
    I use the Node for several hours per day - and being teased with appreciable sonic improvement is making me giddy.
    It appears that installation of the interface pcb is reversible, so that's some comfort to the unconvinced.
    Before I surrender cold cash money, I'm waiting for someone whose opinion I respect to sacrifice themselves and post the outcome here.

The feedback from people who have upgraded has been positive apart from 1. I’m awaiting the outcome of the test. I’m looking at the Polish interface. The manufacturer posts on the WAM forum as well. He is working on a LPS as well.
    Last edited by StingRay; 03-07-2020 at 16:41.

I'm Rockabilly.

I'm curious and potentially in the market if the upgrade costs under £200 and has clearly evident sonic improvement, but not if the outlay is more than the Node itself.
    I'm interested to know your evaluation Ray, if you go ahead.
    Johnny Dodgem.

Cartridges vintage MMs including Pickering xsv-4000/xsv-3000 : Stanton 881s/D81 : AT140LC/VMN40ML
    Spinners hot rod 1210 (Jelco 750D, Origami, Ammonite, Longdog, Vantage, Achromats) : Pye G63 & Garrard AT6 : Two full custom Lencos : Kenwood KD-650D
    Streaming Qobuz : BluOS & Node2 (Fidelity Audio modified) : RME ADI-2 DAC
    Pre-amps Tron Seven (GT modified) : Conrad Johnson EV1 : Croft Micro 25 : Decware ZStage
    Power Amps PrimaLuna ProLogue 5 (KT120) : PrimaLuna ProLogue 4 (KT77)
    Speakers The Edingdale : Meadowlark Hot Rod Shearwater

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
    The Fidelity Audio upgrade with LPS is much more than a couple of hundred quid unfortunately, I think the cheapest option is £415. There are cheaper options which I’m considering, which will be around £140.
    Yes, looking again I see the Fidelity Audio one in thge region of £400, I saw the cheaper prices on the thread and mistakenly applied them more generally.

I also saw the comments from the Polish manufacturer but I thought his product was a power supply. Can anyone explain in words of 2 syllables what is an 'interface'? I thought it was the app? Does the interface 'upgrade' relate to the app? I presume then the eager-to-upgrade punter has a choice of whether to change the interface alone or the power supply?

I'm Gareth.

The ‘interface’ is the Node’s internal power supply (nothing to do with the app) and requires an external 5v 2a DC supply. So either a SMPS or LPSU.

I'm Gareth.

Replaces the part highlighted in red

I'm Rockabilly.

Has anyone heard any differences when comparing the Node 2 using WI-FI versus a wired Ethernet connection?

Thanks,
    Johnny.

I'm Dave.

In my experience the Node sounds great without the ethernet cable. The sound is cleaner though perhaps not as layered as a wired connection. I prefer it set up wifi at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Ray.

It depends on your WiFi, bluesound recommend splitting your modem if you can, it certainly improved my WiFi speed on my iPad but I don’t think my WiFi is consistent enough for streaming, so use wired. Even with faster speed my iPad struggles on some sites. Others have had problems with WiFi using the Node. I have a BT homehub 6. The only WiFi streaming I have used is Bluetooth but I would not recommend that.

I'm Ray.

For anyone who is interested the test on the WAM has been done now. The Sbooster came out very well, so did a cheap chinese LPS, the iFi did not do so well.

The Polish interface is about £85 on ebay, the chinese LPS is about £50 inc. postage, so you are looking at around £135 for this upgrade. The Sbooster are around £300. Other option is Allo Shanti which is about £155.

I'm still undecided which one to buy.

I'm Adam.

I have had a Node 2 now for almost 3 years and I have been very happy with it, but I do like tweaking things and trying to extract more sound out of my system.

When I first read the thread on the Wam about pimping the Node 2i, I thought that it just applied to the 2i model and not the 2, but I was wrong.

Back at the beginning of July I pulled the trigger on an Allo Shanti and the Polish interface. I think that I paid £270 together with p&p.

Both items arrived quickly and I was keen to upgrade my Node 2 and hear what effect it had on it.

I am not an electrician, but I found the instructions easy to follow and I remember seeing my Dad change a board on my Schiit Bifrsot before, so I followed a similar process to him.

I found the most difficult thing was removing the multi-pin connector of the power board from the main board. It was very tight and a pair of long nosed pliers came in very handy.

I turned everything on and left it for 30 minutes while I had some food and to let my system and new power supply warm up.

When I came back I listened to my hifi for an hour or so and I was fairly pleased with what I was hearing, but the change wasn't that great.

The second listening session was similar, but there was more of an improvement all the way through from the bass to the treble.

Further listening sessions, and more time for the new components to burn in, have been very positive.

I have found some "tweaks" in the past not to improve everything in equal measures, but this one certainly does.

The bass is now more controlled and I can hear the rythym in some bass lines on songs much easier because it is more defined.

The mids and trebles are also better defined.

There is much better separation between the instruments when listening to music.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase because I like the Bluos App and system and this has given me more of everything,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast