+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CDP Analogue output section not working

I'm Robert.

Default CDP Analogue output section not working

I've seen a nice CDP which says that its analogue output section appears to not be working, the optical output is.

Any ideas ? does this sound like something difficult to sort, generally speaking of course.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Adrian.

What Make/Model?
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Robert.

Pioneer PD-93
    My System:
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Adrian.

I was wondering gif it was a Meridian, if the output board goes then it can be expensive as boards are hard to find. I found on the net a reference to a PD-91 and the analogue had failed, the owner was told it was fried and not worth repairing as too costly. I an guessing the PD-93 may be the same, although it could be a simple fix. Maybe someone else on here know more. If it was a cheap fix it I think it would definitely be worth having at the right price.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Robert.

Thanks Adrian, I'm not going to touch it as one, I'm skint and two, more hassle than it's worth even if it was got 'cheap'. I'll leave it to someone who is electronically technical and knows their way around these things. I already have my lovely PD-91 sitting here as a large, luxurious doorstop til I ever get hold of a laser for it
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

I'm Martin.

Did the 93 not use the same laser as the 91? They came out at the same time. Might be worth looking into, you could use it as a donor.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Did the 93 not use the same laser as the 91? They came out at the same time. Might be worth looking into, you could use it as a donor.
    Yeah they did Martin. I doubt it'll go for a few hundred, it's also in Nottingham, collection only and I wont be doing that trip, if I can help it. Did it from London on Saturday, clearing all my daughters stuf from her Uni digs there, back to London. Was knackered .....

Cant help but notice the amount of PD-91's, 93's etc that are now faulty, kaput lasers, analogue stages and so.

It dawned on me today, that I dont actually know for fact that it is the laser with mine, it could be the analogue section, which is how I used it.

I'd have another and they are so lovely but truth is, they are one heck of a liability now, that's the reality
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

I'm Frank.

Could always use it with an external dac.

The analogue output section is two separate (L & R) panels. Not something you usually see:

I'm Greg.

I do not think it is difficult to sort out judging by the circuit diagram.
    Apart from having two (very nice at that time) DAC chips was the sound good? The analog stage does not look very sophisticated..

Is the audio completely dead? Do you hear any noises from there? Anything/ Dead quiet?

I'm Greg.

From the pics on the net I see the build quality was well above the average. The price too.
    The question still stands: was the sound good (maybe not by 1991 standards but more today's)?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast