+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wanted - Technics SL 150 Mk2

I'm Keith.

Default Wanted - Technics SL 150 Mk2

Looking for a clean example in silver. Acrylic lid condition not important. Arm board not important.
    Must be a Mk2 with Quartz lock and working perfectly.

I'm Keith.

Are they that rare?
    I've seen a decent one on HiFi Shark in Belgium.
    I'm hoping to find one in the UK.
    Anyone got one stashed in the attic?

I'm Graham.

Unlike the mk1 which is common, not that many mk2 were sold in the uk, as by then the anti -Japanese tt brigade was in full swing....
    Just be careful of the groovy digital display which can fail.
    you probably already know but these are way more complex than the mk1, and stuffed full of ICs, so make sure it's been checked over by someone suitably qualified.
    But it's a cool looking turntable ��

I'm Keith.

Thanks for the advice Graham.
    You're probably right to be careful: I bought a very poor example of a SL-1400 Mk2 which is hugely more complex than my SL-150 Mk1.
    All I've managed to salvage from the SL-1400 is its very high quality acrylic lid and hinge mechanism which fits perfectly on my SL-150.
    I've begun to accept that the servo lock on the SL-150 isn't that arduous to adjust.

I'm Graham.

Hi, Keith, the 1400 is a complex deck indeed and its only a matter of time before the arm lift mech on the 1300/1400/1500 mk 2 will fail.... it's a shame as if looks and sounds ace.
    The sl-150 you have is a very reliable deck once recapped. The caps are prone to failing causing the speed control circuit to go haywire. I had mine replaced by Angus phonomac. Once recapped, i dont need to adjust the pitch controls once set. So it's a well thought design, and otherwise there is very little to go wrong
    Last edited by graham67; 14-06-2020 at 22:34.

+ Reply to Thread