+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Audiopax Model 5 pre-amplifier - wow is it good!!!!

I'm David.

Default Audiopax Model 5 pre-amplifier - wow is it good!!!!

Dear all,

Just purchased an Audiopax Model 5 pre-amp from Nick at the Emporium. The feedback from my first couple of weeks listening is that it is absolulutely wonderful. The pre-amp was designed in Brazil by the late Eduardo de Lima. Many users of the pre-amp have described it as having a magical effect and I can now see why : revealing all nuances, dynamics, intentions and emotions of the music and musicians, something very oftern only found in live performances. It appears to sync really well with my Croft Series 3 OTL power amp and my QUAD 57 speakers. The absolute lack of feedback, and unique MOSFET topology, where this component's characteristics work very close to that of valves gives the beauty of a valve amp with the drive and energy of a solid state amp - the best of both worlds. If you ever get the chance to hear one of these amps do, I am so pleased with my purchase. I never thought I would ever be able to afford such a hi-end piece of gear. No wonder that the Model 5 has accumulated such an impressive number of excellent reviews, awards and "Best of the Show" in the world's top audio shows. Refinement and innovation raise this preamplifier to the absolute reference category in my estimation.
    David
    Equipment Garrard 401 Slate Plinth SME V Van Den Hul Colibri cartridge
    Lector Phonostage
    Raspberry Pi Allo Digione Signature Streamer, Chord Mojo dac running Roon distribution
    Audiopax Model 5 pre-amplifier
    Croft Series 3 OTL amplifier
    Quad ELS 57 speakers (some of the last built SNs in the region of 52000)
    REL Strata V subwoofer

I'm David.

I remember HiFi+ reviewing an Audiopax amp, sorry but cannot remember which model no. (it's many moons ago) It got a good review though, so pleased you are enjoying your new purchase.

I'm David.

Default thanks

Thanks Antonio

They do not produce many models -the model 5 pre and the model 88 monoblocks. Both these bits of kit get fantastic reviews.

Regards

David
    David
    Lector Phonostage
    Raspberry Pi Allo Digione Signature Streamer, Chord Mojo dac running Roon distribution
    REL Strata V subwoofer

I'm Andy.

Dave
    Search out a pair of 88 mono blocks and you will not be disappointed.
    A mate of mine has a pair and they are utterly fantastic. The 'Timber Lock' takes some getting use to, but once you get there with it.
    It's just pure delightful sounds you won't get tired of, ever.
    HV Electrical Engineer - SAF (Sustainable Aviation Fuel) Plant

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Sand Dancin Donkey Walker View Post
    Dave
    Search out a pair of 88 mono blocks and you will not be disappointed.
    A mate of mine has a pair and they are utterly fantastic. The 'Timber Lock' takes some getting use to, but once you get there with it.
    It's just pure delightful sounds you won't get tired of, ever.
    Dave - thanks for that. Very happy with my Croft Series 3 OTL for the time being but will keep an eye out for the 88 monoblock. I expect you don't see them on the second hand market very often.

Regards

David
    David
    Lector Phonostage
    REL Strata V subwoofer

I'm Andy.

Dave, you are dead right there. The power amps don't come up very often.
    when they do, they aren't for sale for very long.
    The last pair I think were on this site audio-markt.de
    Enjoy your pax pre, it's great.
    HV Electrical Engineer - SAF (Sustainable Aviation Fuel) Plant

I'm julian.

I auditioned an Audiopax preamp - think it was a model 5. I could have lived with it quite easily, it was the most valve sounding non-valve preamp I've heard. What prevented me pulling the trigger was that I already had a Herron VT2 and the Audiopax, although more versatile was not ultimately better sounding than the Herron. I would have been hard pushed to tell them apart if I was blindfolded.
    PS Audio Directstream DAC, modified Dennon DVD player, SP10, Trans Fi linear tracker, Stack audio streamer
    1980's Aloia 6L6 prototype, Cat's Whiskers Autum Leaves 300 B mono blocks, Definative Audio modded Rogue 88 Magmum 6550. Firebottle LDR battery pre. Classe 103, Herron VT2
    RFC Tannoy Cheviot's,Wilmslow Audio modified Chario Academy Millenium II's,Frankenstein DIY's, Oris Onken horns, Fostek full range drivers
    Ripnas etc

+ Reply to Thread