+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Closing The Curtains?

I'm Geoff.

If you've got a couple, stack them and take most of the silver stuff off (I assume that's gaffer tape?). You can disguise them with a throw or similar.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

It's like a sort of foil. Might be mylar. I quite like it, don't want to take that off! Anyway I don't own anything that could even be loosely described as a 'throw'.

I don't think I've got another one. If I do I don't know where that is. That's got to have some damping effect as is though, how can it not?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm David.

Since you feel you don't have any bass issues I would remove the loft insulation from behind your speakers when the rockwool panels are in place and see how it sounds.

I'm Martin.

The big roll of insulation is in the corner of the wall the speakers face, not the one behind them. There's nothing behind the speakers except the equipment rack and that's about 8 feet back from them.

I don't think the insulation roll is big enough or thick enough to act as a bass trap. I've seen bass traps in studios and they are massive and very dense. The purpose of the insulation roll is just to stop that corner from 'ringing' a bit. It's funny how the big plant that used to be there must have been doing that. It never occurred to me until I removed it the other week and noticed the difference.

I've read about people using plants as room treatment before and thought 'Yeah, right.'

Always on a learning curve in this game.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

put the acoustic panels up on the door and the section of blank wall between the window and the door - the wall behind the listening position that is.

They cover pretty much the whole door. I stuck them up with duct tape, just a lash up for proof of concept.

So what was the result?

Well the panels seem to be made of the only material in the world that duct tape doesn't stick to very well. As a result they all, one by one, gradually fell off whilst I was listening. On the plus side this did mean that I was able to asses the sound changes as the room treatment was gradually removed, and without leaving my seat. Excellent!

Star of the show is the big roll of loft insulation in the corner. Putting that there has got me back to where I was when the big plant was there. Amazing what a difference it makes, helps with the bass too. Sounds more balanced with the rest of the frequency spectrum and also a bit more presence to it. Those mid and top reflections that were bugging me are gone. Would be even better if I had a few more rolls stacked on top, will have to check if I have anymore of them but I don't think I do.

Covering the door, which is a big, completely flat surface also made a difference but more subtle. Nevertheless I will be sorting out some suitable glue and putting the panels back on it permanently.

I'd recommend looking at treatments like this for the corners and walls behind the listening position if you haven't already, it does make a tangible improvement.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'd recommend looking at treatments like this for the corners and walls behind the listening position if you haven't already, it does make a tangible improvement.
    I'd be looking at divorce if I tried any of that malarkey. Fortunately my amp has tone controls.

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I'd be looking at divorce if I tried any of that malarkey. Fortunately my amp has tone controls.
    Don't think tone controls exactly does what good r/t does. Still if your happy your happy. And you get to keep the wife, always a trade of I suppose.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    You've got a big house, you can't tell me you don't have at least one room you could do what you wanted in?

I've got a 16 band equaliser I could put in circuit if I wanted to, but you can't fix issues like this by twiddling yer knobs.

Anyway I reckon if I did have WAF issues I could get round it. I'd camouflage the roll of insulation as a mini Olmec head. Bit of cardboard and spray paint, no problem. Tell her I found it in a breaker's yard and it's 2000 years old.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Lee.

So closing the curtains has lifted a veil!
    Cambridge audio cxc,CCA Spotify premium
    Beresford seg,dorado,supercap and clock mods
    Dcb1 750ma pre
    Quad QSP power
    Monitor Audio silver 8i
    Kimber powerkords,4vs speaker cable,pbj and Klotz mc5000 interconnects.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Well you have already found the solution - restore (or replace) the 'big' potted plant. Aesthetically easier on the eye than a roll of loft insulation.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast