+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Closing The Curtains?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

It has always been recommended that speakers should be positioned at the 'live' end of the room and the listening position be at the 'dead' end.

My listening room is not unlike yours: 33' long with full width and height patio doors at the speaker end, and a full width, half height window behind me. I have to say I haven't noticed much difference if the curtains behind me are closed or not: will have to do some experimentation and report back.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by 33na3rd View Post
    I don't think it's your imagination at all.

I have blackout shades in my listening room. I discovered pretty quickly that I can change the treble balance in my room by raising or lowering the shades by different amounts. My listening room is moderately treated, but the amount that the shades are open/closed still has a major effect on the treble response.
    I was hoping there would be someone else who has experimented and found the same thing I did! Thanks. Think I will order a USB mic and do some measuring then.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    It has always been recommended that speakers should be positioned at the 'live' end of the room and the listening position be at the 'dead' end.

My listening room is not unlike yours: 33' long with full width and height patio doors at the speaker end, and a full width, half height window behind me. I have to say I haven't noticed much difference if the curtains behind me are closed or not: will have to do some experimentation and report back.
    That is basically how my room is laid out, dead end with the big padded sofas, live end with just the system. Although the live end has become a little cluttered over time but not with anything absorbent. Try with your curtains and see what happens. Although I suppose it will depend on how thick the curtains are.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Jeffrey.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I was hoping there would be someone else who has experimented and found the same thing I did! Thanks. Think I will order a USB mic and do some measuring then.
    You're welcome!

I use this very affordable mic with my smartphone for measurements.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...droid--390-810

I do realize that shipping to the UK will make it less of a bargain though.

I'm Martin.

That is cheap, it's available in the UK but it's £38.99
    Current Lash Up:

I'm guy.

Is it just with the curtains open slightly, the sound waves can get to the glass (even though the area is small) and make the whole panel vibrate in sympathy?
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Is it just with the curtains open slightly, the sound waves can get to the glass (even though the area is small) and make the whole panel vibrate in sympathy?
    I was think about that and you may well be right. Anyway it has spurred me on to try some room treatment. I did a big clear up of the whole areas round by that window so what was a cluttered area with a big potted plant is now completely barren and I can hear the difference with that too.

The other corner at the same end of the room where the front door is has always been a bit reverberant and I've thought about doing something with that a few times. I'm going to order some acoustic slab things and stick them to the door and wall in that corner, and the other corner where the plant was is going to get some rockwool slabs.

Will do a proper thread on it when it all arrives.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Thinking on, I've got some rolls of loft insulation somewhere that I bought and never got round to putting in. I might try one of them in the corner. They're pretty big. Have to see if I can find them.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Thinking on, I've got some rolls of loft insulation somewhere that I bought and never got round to putting in. I might try one of them in the corner. They're pretty big. Have to see if I can find them.
    One or two of those will definitely alter the room acoustics. It may not change the bass much though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Found it. Wound it up into a tight roll and secured with duct tape. It's about 2 feet in diameter, should do the job. Doesn't need to do anything with the bass as there's no issue there, it's damping from mid and high reflections that I'm after.

Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast