+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: RCM cleaning solutions - current

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by supapeet View Post
    I just had 5 litres delivered of the Right Stuff from MCRU for £48, which should keep me going for a while, but will definitely make my own up once that’s gone.
    Have you a link for this please.
    Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Revox A77 MK IV 2 track 15 & 7 1/2 IPS
    TEAC A-3300SX 4 track 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 IPS
    Akai 4000DS MkII

I'm openingabottleofwine.

There are plenty of options to choose from including a dedicated solution such as VPI record cleaning fluid, user-made concoctions such as a soapy mixture of deionized water and 0.5% Tergitol 15-S-7 used by the Library Of Congress.
    Barry

I'm Frank.

I,ve just built my ultrasonic record cleaner using the easily available tank, .6 rev/min motor, 5mm and 10mm perspex and 7mm perspex rod , 100mm perspex discs, and a flexible 2 part coupling which all works perfectly. Tried it at the weekend just with filtered water (my kitchen tap is fitted with a .1 micron water filter for drinking water) on some unwanted vinyl and it worked perfectly. I used small cable ties to press all the discs and lps together (tried it with 6) ,ok, but then found some electrical cable clips which snapped perfectly onto the 7mm rod.Cut some short lengths of rod and araldited the pins on the clips into holes drilled in the ends of the rods. Perfect. A litre of IPA is winging it's way to me, I have wetting agent because I have a photographic darkroom. Also made a long drying rack which will take 2 rods of lps. So, as the thread title asks, suggestions please for the solution mix.Some of the solutions show very large proportions of IPA which surprises me. Tank takes 4 ltrs to come up to run off grooves. A good weekends diy. My thinking is a prewash in filtered water and discard each use, final wash in the solution and re-use.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Leppy View Post
    I,ve just built my ultrasonic record cleaner using the easily available tank, .6 rev/min motor, 5mm and 10mm perspex and 7mm perspex rod , 100mm perspex discs, and a flexible 2 part coupling which all works perfectly. Tried it at the weekend just with filtered water (my kitchen tap is fitted with a .1 micron water filter for drinking water) on some unwanted vinyl and it worked perfectly. I used small cable ties to press all the discs and lps together (tried it with 6) ,ok, but then found some electrical cable clips which snapped perfectly onto the 7mm rod.Cut some short lengths of rod and araldited the pins on the clips into holes drilled in the ends of the rods. Perfect. A litre of IPA is winging it's way to me, I have wetting agent because I have a photographic darkroom. Also made a long drying rack which will take 2 rods of lps. So, as the thread title asks, suggestions please for the solution mix.Some of the solutions show very large proportions of IPA which surprises me. Tank takes 4 ltrs to come up to run off grooves. A good weekends diy. My thinking is a prewash in filtered water and discard each use, final wash in the solution and re-use.
    Hi Frank, you ultrasonic cleaner sounds very interesting, can you post some pics for us to see please, I would be interested in making one.

I currently clean my records, manually spinning on an old TT, using flat emulsion brushes(very fine soft bristles), and vacuuming off with a modified hoover nozzle with narrow slit with protection pad of velvet ribbon. It is bit Heath-Robinson but works well. After a great amount of research on the internet and trials myself I found that a 3 stage process works best, and one very informative article from a chap used this in his own ultrasonic as well, and hoover dried in between stages to eliminate any residue being left behind through drip drying.

On the solution mix front I have found that 25% IPA, 75% distilled water and about 0.5% of wetting agent(ILFORD ILFOTOL), although less IPA in an ultrasonic may be fine.

First I use the above mix and vacuum, and then rinse with distilled water and vacuum, then I follow this with a solution mix of L'Art Du Son and vacuum, finally a rinse with distilled water and vacuum. A bit labour intensive but it works.

I use the L'Art Du Son as I found that just using IPA mix did not seem to get rid of everything, the L'Art Du Son I believe is a enzyme cleaner so should break down most dirt and grease that the IPA mix has not got rid of.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Frank.

Default Ultrasonic cleaner DIY

Happy to share. Bear in mind this was made last weekend on the fly so maybe not too pretty but it works perfectly. I used an A4 sheet of 10mm and 5mm perspex (£9.50), a 0.6 rpm 12v dc synchronous motor (£7.89), some 7mm perspex rod (£7.99 for 3x200mm), 10 x 100mm perspex discs (£17.40 for 10), Plum flexible coupling (6mm and 7mm, 20mm dia x 25mm) (£3.60 ea buy 2 get 1 free), a pack of 3mm x 16mm allen key bolts (£1.29), and of course a 6 lt ultrasonic cleaning tank (£100 best offer). I had the 6mm cable clips, the wing nut bolt, heavy duty draught strip and a 12vdc adaptor from a defunct thingy.Overall size was 75 mm wide 150mm high. The holes to take the motor spindle were 57mm from the top (8mm for the spindle and 25mm for the coupling.. The rod support is 95 x 75 8mm hole 10mm from the top cut into a slot. I,m sure everything came from China which annoys me but sadly no alternative. All from fleabay and desp from uk. I used an electric tile cutter, (basically a mini circular saw) to cut the pieces. I,ve enough material left over to make another so may try and make a prettier one. I did wonder if black perspex would look better but araldite is messy and may show up even more. Hope you like it. I'll add the main pic first then others after.

I'm Frank.

I'm Frank.

I,m going to try different solutions. Probably start off with a 10% IPA/filtered water after an initial filtered water wash then a final filtered water wash with wetting agent added. Can't see why you would add photoflo to the cleaning solution. In film developing it's only added in the final rinse. All at 30degrees , may try up to 40degrees.. Forgot to mention I made a drying rack approx 650mm long to take the rods as they come straight off the cleaner. This also allows them to be spun dry to a certain extent. Gonna think now how I can make a filter unit to filter the cleaning solution, the washes can be discarded. Thinking maybe a 1 micron filter cartridge taking 6mm flexible pipe with a pump between tank and filter. This has to be easily removable from the tank so the rinsing water can be emptied without going through the filter unit. Any ideas anyone?

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    Thanks Nick, will check online for suppliers, as I don’t we have locally open at the moment which would stock those items.
    I've used this recipe for years and its always worked well for me. I use a Knosti Disco Antistat manual RCM with a drying rack and actually quite enjoy cleaning sessions if I'm honest.

Often wondered about ultrasonic cleaners. Anyone had a good experience with them?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Home built PC driving Adam Audio 7 Active Monitors from Asus Xonar Essence STX.

I'm Adrian.

Hi Frank

Thank you very much for posting the pictures, and what you used. I think that I may give it a go if I can find a sensibly priced suitable ultrasonic tank. The reason for adding the ILFORD ILFOTOL to the solution is to break the surface tension and hopefully allow it to get into the grooves better, this is what I found out on the internet in a couple of record cleaning articles. One chap did say a small amount in the final rinse of distilled water helped as well. Perhaps it won't make much difference with an ultrasonic cleaner, however in my trials it definitely seemed to aid the cleaning process.

Thanks again

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyj View Post
    I've used this recipe for years and its always worked well for me. I use a Knosti Disco Antistat manual RCM with a drying rack and actually quite enjoy cleaning sessions if I'm honest.

Often wondered about ultrasonic cleaners. Anyone had a good experience with them?
    Decided to try an ultrasonic. This seems like a good buy from Amazon.[IMG]

Be here tomorrow so i'll have a play and get back to you all.

[/IMG]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Home built PC driving Adam Audio 7 Active Monitors from Asus Xonar Essence STX.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast