+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Speaker Frequency Range - What does it mean ?

I'm Robert.

Default Speaker Frequency Range - What does it mean ?

I'm curious about two speaker frequency ranges. What does it mean in terms of treble, mid and bass levels, extension, sound etc.

This would be in the context of a room of 3.5 x 4 mtrs, wooden suspended floor.

I'm know there'll likely be other factors to consider, but I'm just looking for a general expectation and difference, in regard to the two specs and what they mean, generally:

Speaker A

Frequency Response 32Hz - 25kHz
    Crossover Frequency 3.7 kH

Speaker B

Frequency response – 29Hz – 25kHz
    Crossover frequencies 900Hz, 3.2kHz
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Adam.

Unfortunately, all you can tell definitively from those specifications is that (A) is a two-way speaker and (B) is a two and a half or three way!

Whilst the 29Hz compared to 32Hz suggests that B may go lower in the bass, the numbers are meaningless without some sort of decibel limits on them. If they're both -3dB figures (i.e. the point at which the speaker's output has dropped by 3dB from its nominal sensitivity) then B does go lower, but if A is 32Hz at -3dB and B is 29Hz at -10dB, all bets are off!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Dave.

As above. You can't tell anything from the figures without dB limits and even then, the bass response is altered by the room dimensions and HF by the furnishings etc.

Crossover frequencies mean almost nothing to anyone except the designer.

I'm Lawrence.

Even with dB ranges, I've seen some quote anechoic conditions (eg Kef years ago, not sure about now) and others "in room response" but no idea what room

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Even with dB ranges, I've seen some quote anechoic conditions (eg Kef years ago, not sure about now) and others "in room response" but no idea what room
    Yes 'in room' figures are a bit of a cheat, like quoting amplifier power in PWPMO (or whatever it is)
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread