+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Crap Weather For June

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Plenty of nearly-empty beaches everywhere, here and abroad, if you don't mind being miles from a bar. That's the deal-breaker for your average 'oik'.
    Yup, that's why we generally don't do beach holidays. I was talking mainly here in the UK, outside of the tourist season, where lots of beaches near pubs are empty. The attraction for us of a beach is to enjoy the fresh sea air, whilst having a nice walk in a pleasantly deserted space, not to sunbathe or swim amongst crowds, which just isn't our thing.

Actually, one of our nicest recent experiences, in that respect, was on holiday last year on our return from Italy, where we had stopped overnight at a lovely little family-run hotel on the outskirts of Calais, so we could catch an early (less crowded) ferry back to Dover.

Around 9pm, after we'd enjoyed a lovely meal, we walked down to the beach (no more than 1000yds away or so), and had virtually the whole if it to ourselves (this was in the middle of July). It was a pleasantly warm evening, and the beach in question was full of lovely white fluffy sand, beautifully clean, and we had a nice long walk, barefoot right next to the sea, taking in the fresh air, before retiring to the hotel's charming little bar for a night cap.

It was a husband and wife team who owned the hotel, and speaking French pretty well, I got talking to them. We started off with a few beers, then he brought out some brandy he'd made himself from 'behind the counter', lol and well, that was it.... He didn't even charge us for it! Just the beers. Don't think we got to bed until 2am, but rather bleary-eyed (just about) managed to catch the boat at 7am!

It's nice little things like that which for me (and Del) make a holiday

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Well, Adam... Was just about to go to bed, but after climbing the stairs and feeling the heat hit me (measured at just a tad under 24C), I thought fuck it, I'll relax outside on the lounger in the backyard for a bit instead, with a nice cool beer, and take my laptop with me!

So... Just under 20C outside, with a little bit of a breeze... Much better (and fresher). So I'll sit out here until I get sleepier, then brace myself and enter the oven then!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Robert.

Yep, it's a sticky night for sure
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

Glad you agree, Rob, as a heat lover. And "sticky", for me, ain't comfortable

As soon as I open the back door and walk into the house, I can feel the hot stuffy air hit me straight away...

Marco.
    Main System

I'm sorted.

I'd closed the conservatory door before loading up the dishwasher but I've just opened it again (might get a couple of visitors, saw a couple of foxes playing around in the garden behind mine just after dark).

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It's not that far from Antigua which is very lively so you can just go over there on the boat for a couple of days or whatever to chill out, then come back.
    Ah, that would defo be cool

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol, and you're comfortable sitting or swimming in such hot water, when it's so hot outside?

Sorry, that would be a total nightmare for me. I'd want to be stepping into something that was considerably cooler (to cool me down) than what it was outside. Can you chill swimming pools, too?

In this weather, I often have cold showers or baths to stop me from overheating! And no, Piggurs, not for THAT reason!

Marco.
    Cooling the pool is easy. I just leave the cover off.
    I didn’t go in the pool at 33 degrees. It was done for my daughter and friends to enjoy the pool yesterday.
    I will let the pool drop to it’s normal temperature of around 28 degrees at this time of year. As it heats up outside, the water feels almost cold as you go in the pool.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    My idea of hell (and what happened to social distancing?):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53165918
    So AoS had its Annual General Meeting at Blackpool this week (picture 7), but no one bothered to notify us. No wonder only four turned up
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

Garden thermometer read 20C at 6.30. Gonna be a warm one again. Just one window to fit this morning and a couple of surveys to do, so I might give myself an early dart. Can't stand working when it's too hot.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Jon.

As of 7:15am..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast