+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New music soul speaking advice pls

I'm Martin.

Default New music soul speaking advice pls

Hi everyone,

Two weeks ago I literally had no interest in music and by pure chance watched a video on youtube of a buy comparing a
    Two carts on a turntable. I hadn’t owned a turntable for 20 years.

I was totally blown away by the guys passion, love and enthusiasm for what he was presenting. Pure.

I could not believe the difference between the 2 carts. I thought my ears were playing tricks on me so I asked family. They agreed so an adventure started (is starting).

I can’t remember being this excited about something for ages (make me sound sad? 😂 )

So I’m jumping in... I’ve got this on order.... a rega p2, a marantz pm5005, a marantz cd5005, an mp110 cart.
    I’m going to buy today a schiit mani I think..

I know I might have messed up Getting what I have got but I’m so excited to get going I’ve jumped in....

Please can I get some expert advice? What speakers would go with what I’m getting? I would like floor standers and have seen the following reasonable priced (ps all my gear is 2nd hand apart from the cart)

Mission 752f
    Castle Avon
    Castle Severn 2
    Wharfdale 9.5

Please help a new music soul

I'm Chris.

Hi Martin

What size of room are you running your system in ? I would take a tour of some of the Hi Fi shops advertising on AOS
    which are in the Trade section https://theartofsound.net/forum/foru...de-Impressions

and see if you can get to hear some of the models being offered. the shop too may well also stock your Marantz amp
    so take along a favorite CD, or LP

My own system I have 4 models of speaker, they are JR149 , Acoustic Research AR 7 , gale GS401a and Quad ESL57
    each offer certain virtues.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers / Chris

I'm Dave.

Good choice of turntable but why didn't you go with a Rega amp and CD player ?

What is your budget for speakers ?

I'm Martin.

Of the choice of four I'd probably go for the Missions personally.

The Castles are good but maybe a bit on the warm side compared to the Missions.

The Wharfedales are sort of in-between the two.

They're all competent speakers and should all sound good with the rest of the equipment.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Thank you for the replies guys. I really appreciate it.

To answer the questions the room I’ll have the system in to start with is small but will be moved into a larger room once I have it all working.

Chris, I’m looking to get set up and once the world settles then I’ll go testing and refining. I know I’ve got to listen to them and my was s not probably the right way but I’m eager to get going so I don’t procrastinate (which is a bad habit). Not great but what do you think?

Dave regards, the pm 5005 amp and cd5005 CD player, I got both together boxed with their remotes for 200 which seemed a fair price so I just went for it. I’m happy to change once I get up and running. Do you think I’ve made a mistake?

Maraca regards the speakers, i didn’t know what was best. If they’re all decent, I’ll go with the closest (distance to pick up). This is first system and I’d like to get it right but also I’m eager lol.

I'm Martin.

Aesprit 309s was the other speaker option I forgot to add to my list of option.

Thanks again. I’m gonna lie it here

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel View Post
    Aesprit 309s was the other speaker option I forgot to add to my list of option.

Thanks again. I’m gonna lie it here
    *like.

I'm Steve.

Robbiegong of this parish had the Mission 752 Freedoms and loved them. Would probably be my choice
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Chris.

Hi Martin

Also allow for speaker stands, or speakers that already raise - all so important to get optimal height.

Dispersion and how the speaker projects in to the room can be a game changer too, which may lead to
    narrowing your choice. A test I do is to move away from where the speakers are directly projecting, and
    see if the music continues with intricate detail,

Also the bass loading can have great effect. Ideally all frequencies should reproduce well, and there
    won't be one area of frequency more prominent than the other.

You can instantly see the speaker designers intention - and how much effort has gone in to making the speaker( s)
    to be in harmony with the cabinet.

In order of preference bass reflex ( worst ) arranges a port either in the front or the rear, if you happen to like the sound of a bass reflex design
    and there are some that can be OK then the simple addition of a kitchen wrap roll particularly at the rear that extends the port further out
    - just has to be heard. As example the Kef Cresta, benefits greatly from a kitchen wrap roll.

Next a sealed cabinet, has the drivers in defined internal space - good examples the LS 3/5a , Kef 104ab

Better and possibly the best is Acoustic Suspension - it has the lowest distortion of any bass loading design, sadly very few speakers
    use it properly. An acoustic suspension bass loading arranges the driver to be floppy , and to breathe every so slightly. You can follow
    its history and principles here: http://edgarvillchur.com/

Transmission Line - these have very complex internal cabinet space to elicit the lowest frequencies, the large cabinet space they take up
    can work against them though.

Isobaric arranges two bass drivers, one firing assisting the other, internally. The Linn isobaric and more recently the Neat speaker
    You can expect low bass output from this modest speaker cabinet size, and the cabinet really working to assist the speaker.
    Just look at what is happening here : http://neatacoustics.com/

Horn types exampled by the Klipsch La Scala have large cabinets, but have exceptional efficiency - very few watts needed.

Omni directional like the Sonab range had some intricate cabinet design https://www.carlssonplanet.com/en/sp...d/sonab-oa-12/

Cabinet less designs these borrow the good ideas behind planar speakers - one of the famous ones was the Dahlquist
    https://www.stereophile.com/floorlou...q10/index.html

Planar speakers like the Quad ESL57 have the best midrange of any speaker, they can be fussy though with matching to a amplifier
    and they need to have curved panels to disperse.

I hope that has given some insight into different designs.
    Last edited by Light Dependant Resistor; 31-05-2020 at 16:13.

I'm Martin.

Wow thanks for the info. Had good reed. What a life villchur had. Sad in parts but really exciting. Too complicated for me to decider all of it though with my new to the game knowledge.

I had a problem relating the detail of the info you gave me to the speakers I had a chance of buying.

The overriding factor was that I need a balanced speaker. I’d hate for bass to be shy or dominating. Balance would be beautiful.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast