+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello from Texas!

I'm Dean.

Default Hello from Texas!

- Hi everyone, posting for the first time here on the Forum, I've been following the discussions here over the years , but never felt like I really knew enough to contribute anything. I finally decided to make some major changes to my Stereo setup and so begins my new diy journey --
    I was born in Los Angeles , moved very young to Washington State, after High School I found myself back in California attending college in Riverside California, there I found my better half at college, and managed to somehow convince her that I was the guy for her - and got married ... still not sure how I manged that - LOL . After college we lived in Riverside for quite a while up until the housing situation went crazy in the Real Estate Bubble ... our friends had a cute little bungalow about eleven hundred square feet - one day it was worth about - $125,000 and in a just a short time went to $750,000 -- nuts.
    We were living in a really nice 560 square foot apartment - (No kids) had a great balcony that was surrounded by trees and a creek below and we loved the location , quiet but about 2 minutes from the freeways, and were only paying 580.00 a month... well along comes the Real Estate Bubble......... so they put new carpet and counter tops in our apartments and stated charging - $ 395,000 for what they were now calling "Condos" ....... well no way we were going for that.
    - About that time my wife got MS and then I had a number of issues - and within 3 years of each other we both ended up on disability , went from doing pretty well to below the poverty line - that was a shock - LOL !
    - Well couldn't afford California anymore so looked around for about 2 years and then we moved and somehow ended up in Fort Worth Texas , where we have been living happily for about 14 years now - miss some of our friends that we left back there, and the mountains and beaches from time to time, But the people are great here, and we ended up with a 1,800 sq. ft. house for about what we were paying for that one bedroom apartment . . . . . . . . .So were Texans now!
    - My set up is currently is a - diy Preamplifier , VTL Deluxe MB300 Monoblock Tube Amplifiers that are about 350 watts each , a very enjoyable Temple Audio Bantam One Integrated Amplifier , and a vintage Marantz Receiver. Speakers are NHT 3.3's - much loved by me , Magnepan MG IIIa's , Ryan Acoustic monitors .... Rotel Transport, Adcom and Buffalo dacs , Denon and Pioneer turntables. But times are a changing , I'm going to be selling it all and some other stuff and going a different direction !
    - Going to be starting my life in diy audio , I will be building my own Preamplifiers , Amplifiers , dacs and Speakers. My speaker experience is pretty limited ... so I'm going to try a bunch of different kinds of speakers, I picked up a pair of Wharfedale W70 Speakers for a great price that actually sound very nice now , but I will be restoring them to their full former glory - or as close as i can get to it. Going to be building several Open Baffles designs , a MEH Horn set up , maybe some Frankenstein La Scala's . . . . and even a FAST speaker design too. - Most will be Hi Efficiency speakers 97 - 106 db.... Amplifiers will mostly be tube amplifiers with a few solid state ones sprinkled in. And also want to try a few vintage amps to compliment the vintage speakers.
    LOTs to do and definitely Not enough time - I tend to procrastinate a little ... .... well maybe it's more like I love doing research trying to find " the best " audio equipment to build.... ( of coarse there is no best) , but at least make some good choices - funds are very limited - LOL. - I've started getting ready to rebuild , refurbish and mod some eBay vintage amplifiers for the experience , so I can soon tackle a couple of diy Tube amp designs. Anyway thought I would stop buy and say hello, and warn you .... you will soon be hearing a lot of silly Newbie questions - - - that will be me ......... I'll try not to drive you crazy. - sorry for the long intro - I can get carried away too ....... .

Best Regards,
    Dean

I'm Grant.

welcome to AoS Dean. 1800 sq ft is a fair size .. im probably half that although ive not measured it... Anyway, hope the forum can help you.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dean.

Hi Grant -I am looking forward to being more involved , and I'm sure learning a lot from you'all ...funny thing about houses at least for me , I thought this place was really big when we moved in but it seems I've already filled it up! Now I would love to have a shed to get all the lawn equipment out of the garage - just not enough room in the two car garage - LOL

I'm Pete.

Hiya Dean
    Welcome to AOS
    Regards
    Pete

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Dean,

Nice introduction - enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Welcome to AoS Dean - sounds like you'll be busy!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread