+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valve amp/preamp with tone controls

I'm Ras.

Default Valve amp/preamp with tone controls

Hello,
    I’d like to experience valve amplification.
    Tone controls required.
    Wattage maybe from 10W.
    If not amp, then preamp for the beginning.
    Initial price about £500.
    What would be your suggestions?

I'm Martin.

List of some options here, no idea what any of them are like though:

https://hotproducts-2020.com/10-best...-tone-control/
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

No mention of this amp which I owned last year. Sounds very transparent but needs upgraded valves. It has a slight foible that the tone controls are neutral at about 10pm/2pm and the direct switch seems to engage a loudness compensation circuit!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263613175482

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    No mention of this amp which I owned last year. Sounds very transparent but needs upgraded valves. It has a slight foible that the tone controls are neutral at about 10pm/2pm and the direct switch seems to engage a loudness compensation circuit!!

I'll take a stab at engaging the tone controls drops the gain to give headroom for "increasing" bass and treble so defeating the circuit gives you the normal gain level back.

I'm Lawrence.

Theres a bit of talk on the forums about the loudness issue (I mean a Fletcher Munson type circuit not just volume level). This thread has a link to some oscilloscope readings, the engineer said he measured bass and treble +7db when engaging the source direct button

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ematic.832242/

Despite this, with the tone controls switched on and set to flat about 10pm/2pm as in the link in the link) it sounds great

I'm Ian.

Stick a klark teknik dn360, dn370, in the tape loop or between the pre.power amp. Way better than bass and trebble knobs

I'm Ras.

Some interesting choices, thank you.
    Before I was thinking about Schiit Loki connected between source and preamp, that would give me just one input solution though.
    It could work though if connected in the between preamp and power amp though, good idea.
    Many frequencies equalisation unit might be too much in the signal path, hm..
    Will have a look at the 728A preamp, looks nice.

I'm Ras.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post

So I decided and ordered one with tone controls and remote control. What tubes are in need of replacement in that preamp and what was your choice for new ones?

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsden View Post
    So I decided and ordered one with tone controls and remote control. What tubes are in need of replacement in that preamp and what was your choice for new ones?
    I didn't know they did a remote version. The valves are 2x12AT7, 2x12AU7 and 1x6Z4 IIRC.

The 6Z4 is a Chinese or Russian rectifier with no Western equivalent l think but it's decent enough anyway so you don't need to worry about that. I went on eBay and ordered some reasonably priced NOS valves for the other types, possibly Philips and something else. Depends how much you want to spend, they're not as pricey generally as 12AX7 fortunately.

I'm Ras.

Yes, there is the version with remote control too, I like that.
    Touching those valves, tried to dig into the world of just the two - ECC81 and ECC82 and quickly became overwhelmed by amount of manufacturers and various specs and model names, then the term NOS created a lot of questions in my mind too. After browsing various reviews and eBay offers I think I will try some, but from different source.
    Watford valves is UK company in this business, so probably will buy from them. Better to be assured that the valves are properly tested and matched. I guess that will help with evaluation whether it was worthy to try 😎

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast