+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Silver plated copper vs copper speaker wires ? What's better ? Help !!!

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    I would second this.
    Thanks !

What's your experience, what's the difference between silver plated and copper ?

Regards,

Denzil
    https://www.instagram.com/elsewheregoa

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Personally, it's silver or copper for me.

Plating adds something at the top end.
    Thanks,

When you say plating adds something at the top end, can it enhance top end with more detail in any way or does it mess things up ?

Regards,

Denzil

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
    I've heard of pure silver being used from crossovers to the drivers. But not seen any commercially available pure silver speaker cables. Do you have any links ?

Regards,

Denzil
    Ocellia.My .21 Caliopes have internal wire that's MDI covered silver.
    https://6moons.com/audioreviews/ocellia4/5.html
    Costs a lot of course.
    When I borrowed a speaker set, my aged ears couldn't hear any benefit.
    Chris.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
    Thanks,

When you say plating adds something at the top end, can it enhance top end with more detail in any way or does it mess things up ?

Regards,

Denzil
    I am not really a fan of using cables to try to tweak the sound, but I think it'd be unfair for me to say it always messes up the sound. I think yes, subjectively, silver plating can sound a bit 'brighter'. A bit. These things don't make a massive difference. Component choices like speakers, amps and sources way way more important.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm matt.

I've only ever tried Chord odyssey 2 (silver plated copper) against Naim Nac A5 (copper). To me the Odyssey sounded unnatural in the high frequencies. A little bright at certain frequencies but also overly smooth at others (very strange)

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    I am not really a fan of using cables to try to tweak the sound, but I think it'd be unfair for me to say it always messes up the sound. I think yes, subjectively, silver plating can sound a bit 'brighter'. A bit. These things don't make a massive difference. Component choices like speakers, amps and sources way way more important.
    Okay, I think I get the feeling from what you are saying, copper is more neutral, natural, while silver plated copper tends to be artificially bright.

Thanks,

Denzil

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    I've only ever tried Chord odyssey 2 (silver plated copper) against Naim Nac A5 (copper). To me the Odyssey sounded unnatural in the high frequencies. A little bright at certain frequencies but also overly smooth at others (very strange)
    Thanks Matt,

So assuming all things considered are as near perfect as possible with amp, speakers, source etc., would you use copper or silver plated copper ? Would you consider copper to be more faithful to what should be transmitted to the speakers ? Are they just different ? Or would you consider one more truthful than the other ?

Thanks,

Denzil

I'm Robert.

I have QED silver Spiral speaker cable, which is silver plated copper. Never found the cable itself to be bright or unnatural in presentation.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    I have QED silver Spiral speaker cable, which is silver plated copper. Never found the cable itself to be bright or unnatural in presentation.
    Ah, that's interesting to hear. So you are using a silver plated copper wire out of choice and find it completely "normal" in a sense. While many seem to think it's bright, compared to copper.

Thanks Robbie !

Regards,

Denzil

I'm Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've messed about with every type of wire, for speakers and interconnects and found I just don't like silver plated wire. Pure silver can be very good, but is system dependant, good pure copper is a safe bet and what I use.
    I'm with Geoff on this one, having used many many different cables over my lifetime hobby. The bottom line is that most will suit you perfectly, but all may be system dependent to some degree and that's when you have to make up your own mind just as to what they do for YOU.

One of the best cables I ever used sort of 'went against the grain' as they were minimalist (by dimension) and contrary to most designs, being a very small coaxial type made by Audience, who use Mogami cable of pure copper.

When I retired I was fortunate enough to be able to try pure silver cables in my system, which brought noticeable improvements (to my ears)!!

So, although they are not commonplace, here is one website (Dram) that will give you an idea of what is available and their associated costs.........!!!!

Try different cables in your own system and make up your mind accordingly. Good luck.
    Technics SL1000R, DynavectorXV1t, Garrard 401, Jelco SA750LB, Decca Reference, ATVM750SH, AT33Mono, Hana Umami Red, Reimyo CDP777, EarYoshino 912, Ear Yoshino 509s, JBLK2 SL5800s, ART Dram interconnects / speaker cables.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast