+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Amplifier Misery

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    ...... reportedly this is an 80w into 8ohm amp but from the amount i need to turn the volume control it's way more, previously i had a HH 150w pa amp running them and i needed it turned up a lot more than the Sony to get the same amount of volume.
    This seems to be a recurring belief/myth that the volume control position has a relation to the power output rating of an amplifier.

The amp maximum output is fixed by the power supply of the amp, if the spec states 80W that is the max, you can't get more.
    The volume control position is only an indication and control of the gain of the amp, not the output power.

If the amp has lots of internal gain the vol rotation will be small for a fixed sound level.
    If the amp has lower internal gain the vol rotation will be greater for a fixed sound level.

Hope this gives clarification and busts the myth.

I'm Chris.

And further to that, the figure of merit you have to know is the power amplifiers sensitivity, and still important but slightly less so, the fixed resistance
    at the amplifiers input. The resistance loading should not be less than 10k

Some examples Quad 303 / 405 require 500mv to deliver their full output Quad 306 375mv - all are suitable for passive attenuation

Where the power amplifier requires 1.5v ( 1500mv ) or more for full output it is simply limiting the way it attaches to other equipment, and much caution is needed
    from purchasers, to assess why exactly this approach is advocated. You will usually find the manufacturer also insisting you purchase their pre amplifier product.

Consumers need not to be held to ransom like this, and can instead choose amplifier sensitivity to match a wide range of passive and other forms.

Quads approach has been outstanding in practice for over 50 years or more to match their equipment to other equipment, and needs to be adopted as industry standard

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quad 2 input Sensitivity: 1.4V rms for 15W output!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post

Consumers need not to be held to ransom like this, and can instead choose amplifier sensitivity to match a wide range of passive and other forms.

Quads approach has been outstanding in practice for over 50 years or more to match their equipment to other equipment, and needs to be adopted as industry standard
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

So as some of you know i've recently purchased a Primaluna Evo400i unfortunately i bought it just as lockdown came into force and it's in Edinburgh i'm in Chorley, no big deal i thought 3 or 4 weeks and we'll be back to normal, i could have had it posted but i'd rather not chance it anyway we are now upwards of 6 or 7 weeks into lockdown travel is ok in England now but not into Scotland and as i recall the borders police are particularly shit hot so no way am i going to chance a trip, if i was an adviser to lets say ohhhh Boris Johnson i might, but as an average Joe it's not worth the risk.

Anyway i'm a bit peeved but as i still have my Marantz PM66 kis i can still listen to some choonz, that was until this morning, turned everything on as usual and half way through an LP it just stopped, it lights up but not a whisper out of the speakers, i don't get the click 4 or 5 seconds after turning it on any more as it turns the output on nothing, arrrrgghhh fuck you hifi gods.

So not knowing when i'm going to be able to travel to bonny Scotland for the PL, it's left me with a dilemma do i sit it out and wait for the PL? do i try to get the Marantz fixed? or do i buy another amp in the meantime?
    Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear about your amp woes, hope you get things sorted soon

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Quad 2 input Sensitivity: 1.4V rms for 15W output!!!
    Which finished production around 1967, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_Electroacoustics with introduction of both 50E (1966) and 303 (1967) power amplifiers
    making now,over 50 years, that Quad has maintained sensible levels of sensitivity in their equipment, as I had stated
    the only exception might be the FM3 tuner, which was perhaps too low,

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear about your amp woes, hope you get things sorted soon

Marco.
    Normal service has been resumed mate, got a Sony 530ES amp in very good condition as a stop gap / spare, these things deserve their reputation, it's literally built like a tank and it grips and controls the new Kralks very well indeed. The second I can cross the border without incurring the wrath of the Scottish rozzers i'll be on my way to Portobello to pick up the Primaluna.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

If you want to be pedantic, your quote, not mine!

Quads approach has been outstanding in practice for over 50 years or more
    Which finished production around 1967, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_Electroacoustics with introduction of both 50E (1966) and 303 (1967) power amplifiers
    making now,over 50 years, that Quad has maintained sensible levels of sensitivity in their equipment, as I had stated
    the only exception might be the FM3 tuner, which was perhaps too low,
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    If you want to be pedantic, your quote, not mine!
    2020 minus 1967 = 53 ... which is more than 50 years.... I am not being pedantic rather just pointing out my original statement was quite correct.
    "Quads approach has been outstanding in practice for over 50 years or more to match their equipment to other equipment, and needs to be adopted as industry standard"

I'm Mike.

2020 minus 1967 = 53 ... which is more than 50 years.... I am not being pedantic rather just pointing out my original statement was quite correct.
    "Quads approach has been outstanding in practice for over 50 years or more to match their equipment to other equipment, and needs to be adopted as industry standard"
    Ooohhh are we going to get a witty response............over to you Anthony..........

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

no point, i'l just do the usual
    Ooohhh are we going to get a witty response............over to you Anthony..........
    Nikola Tesla

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234