+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Amplifier Misery

I'm Mike.

Default Amplifier Misery

So as some of you know i've recently purchased a Primaluna Evo400i unfortunately i bought it just as lockdown came into force and it's in Edinburgh i'm in Chorley, no big deal i thought 3 or 4 weeks and we'll be back to normal, i could have had it posted but i'd rather not chance it anyway we are now upwards of 6 or 7 weeks into lockdown travel is ok in England now but not into Scotland and as i recall the borders police are particularly shit hot so no way am i going to chance a trip, if i was an adviser to lets say ohhhh Boris Johnson i might, but as an average Joe it's not worth the risk.

Anyway i'm a bit peeved but as i still have my Marantz PM66 kis i can still listen to some choonz, that was until this morning, turned everything on as usual and half way through an LP it just stopped, it lights up but not a whisper out of the speakers, i don't get the click 4 or 5 seconds after turning it on any more as it turns the output on nothing, arrrrgghhh fuck you hifi gods.

So not knowing when i'm going to be able to travel to bonny Scotland for the PL, it's left me with a dilemma do i sit it out and wait for the PL? do i try to get the Marantz fixed? or do i buy another amp in the meantime?

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Chris.

It's for situation such as this why I 'need' three amps (and they're just the ones t'other half knows about) in reserve. . . I've thought about selling them but what if the worst happens . . . and then happens again . . .

Of course as I have them I've never actually needed them (fingers crossed) but I'm absolutely sure (and you can blame the hifi gods for this again) that if I had not taken such precautions, I would no doubt need them.

I think that is pretty much the definition of sods law . . .

To not beat around the proverbial bush I'd buy a 'stop gap' amp you are happy to listen to in the mean time. Funds permitting etc.

These little Class D's can be pretty good, delivered quickly (Prime) and are cheap for what its worth. I've got one (okay two) for delivering a line level to a pair of subs and it actually sounds better than it has any right to.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DollaTek-TP...0509358&sr=8-3
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Geoff.

Maybe there's a kind member in your neck of the woods who can lend you an amp for the time being?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    These little Class D's can be pretty good, delivered quickly (Prime) and are cheap for what its worth. I've got one (okay two) for delivering a line level to a pair of subs and it actually sounds better than it has any right to.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DollaTek-TP...0509358&sr=8-3
    I have one. They work well!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Thinking about it, there's loads of old amps at work i could use, but i've seen a Sony TA-F700ES in mint condition for what i think is a reasonable £230, i'm very tempted

I'm Rob.

It could be a tired relay, if it is relay switched. Sometimes the contacts get oxidised. Some of them have removable covers and you can squirt some contact cleaner in there. I have also read that even giving them a few sharp taps with a non-conductive implement.....like the end of a pencil can bring get them working. I assume you have checked if there are any blown internal fuses.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Alan.

If the relay doesn't even click it's unlikely to be bad contacts.

For info I have a diamond encrusted scapula that I use for cleaning relay contacts, particularly output mute relays in power amps, works really well.

I'm Mike.

Whatever it is i don't have the time, the tools or the patience to be farting about with an old amp, i'm tempted with the Sony though, which looks like a bit of a beast and unlike my Marantz which i've read can be a bit brittle the Sony ES amps of this era are bomb proof.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    If the relay doesn't even click it's unlikely to be bad contacts.

For info I have a diamond encrusted scapula that I use for cleaning relay contacts, particularly output mute relays in power amps, works really well.
    Is that so you can get your shoulder behind it?

I'm Patrick.

Stick a kid in the back and if you get stopped in Scotland say you were just testing you eyes and got lost on the way to Barnards Castle.

You might cop a bit of flack, but Boris will back you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast