+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought & Homebrew Beers, Lagers, Porters etc

I'm guy.

Default Bought & Homebrew Beers, Lagers, Porters etc

I have got back in to making my "own" beer over the period of social isolation (and pubs being shut )

It has been over twenty years since I made any and have been using simple branded tins of extract. The problem has been finding beers which brew well at home (although so far so good). It has got me thinking that recommended kits/tips etc could be a useful thread, as I have just been buying on spec.

So:

Woodfords "Nog" - first attempt and brilliant. Dark beer, good head, bitter and toasted malt flavour - will make this again.

Courage "Directors" - fermentation slower, classic beer but the hop flavour a bit too "green" to me if that makes sense (wife likes it though)

St Peters "Cream Stout" - Still conditioning in the bottles, but VERY promising. Bitter finish, chocolate and fine mousse - will make this again.

Festival "Pride of London Porter" - just started, but I have added extra dark spray malt to the recipe so it should come out at about 6%

I have just ordered a Czech pilsner kit and an American IPA for the summer months, will let you know that I think in about a months time!

All the above have been bottle conditioned using a spray malt solution which I made up, so sediment in bottom of bottle (Coopers PET bottles - initial expense, but reusable). I was going to use my old Boots pressure barrel, but the gas injector was buggered, actually finding it is working really well to bottle condition though.

Any recommendations for kits/whatever gratefully received.

Edit - as much as I am enjoying making and drinking my own beer, I really miss the social aspect of going to pub/chatting/playing pétanque (boule) - must get some mates around to sample my beers when the situation allows.
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Guy,

Sounds great, but seeing some pics of your home brews would be great! Good idea to start this thread, so it's probably going to be largely up to us two to keep it active, so try and update it regularly.

We have a couple of Polish shops in town, which stock some really interesting Polsh beers and lagers - stuff that you just wouldn't find anywhere else, and when it comes to beer or lager, I prefer 'off the wall' stuff (often craft varieties) to the mainstream offerings found in supermarkets.

For example, I've enjoyed these Polish beers recently (pics taken from the net_:

The first one is a really deep, hoppy and refreshing, quality lager, and the other more a yeasty beer/IPA type, with more bitterness, but still smooth and creamy. Both are highly recommended if you can find them.

Another I enjoyed this evening, which I picked up in Lidl (£1.25 a can), called West End Pils, from By the Horns brewing company in Wandsworth, London (again pics taken from the net):

More info here (check it out as they have some nice stuff): https://bythehorns.co.uk/2020/02/15/west-end-pils/

That was also very nice. Pale, quite creamy with slightly zingy, lemony tones and bitter finish. Definitely recommended! I know you prefer darker, more 'chocolatey' beers, but I tend to drink those more in the winter

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Jon.

I make almost all of the booze i consume, and this pic is usual in my cottage.

Ale, cider and lager..

A friend bought me a Wilko winter ale kit and tbh its fantastic and ready to drink within a month. I didn’t use the spices.
    I don’t bother with finings, so it may look a bit cloudy, but the taste is unaffected.
    Pic from a pint i pulled from my King Keg earlier.

Respect mate, that's top-notch!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Thumbs up More Polish amber-nectar!

Been enjoying an ice-cold one of these today, in the scorchio Wrexham sunshine, purchased from our local Polish shop:

More info here: http://www.browar-amber.pl/en/

Probably one of the best I've had yet - golden, full-bodied, hoppy lurveliness!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

not home made but ordered some of this for fathers day. not had a beer in years
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Wot - you bought it *yourself* for Father's Day?

Nooooo... You send your daughter the link, and ask HER to buy the beer for YOU!

Enjoy!

My old man's coming round for his lunch on Sunday, al fresco [having a fairly big 'do'], as it's due to be a scorcher!!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Justin.

I used to do full grain brewing. I used to go to Smiles brewery in Bristol with a margarine tub which they filled with their yeast for me. Positively amazing yeast.

The best recipe I ever made was oddly the simplest. Yeast, pale malt, Goldings hops and absolutely NOTHING else at about 5.5 percent.

I rate that as the second best beer I have ever tasted. It was amazing stuff.

Best goes to De Dolle Oerbier. I went to the brewery in Belgium which is how I discovered it. Very hard to buy in this country but it does appear sometimes.

I stopped doing it as it's actually a bit a of an arse to make. And when you loose the odd five gallons due to an infection it's a really serious dis-incentive.

I have thought about doing it again as the kit and choice of ingredients available these days is amazing. I'd want all the best stuff, though. I never brewed for cost reasons, always for best quality, so I'd end up spending a lot of money now I think.

You should go for it again, dude, as with your attention to detail and experience, it could only be a success

Btw, how's the new house going?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post

And when you loose the odd five gallons due to an infection it's a really serious dis-incentive.
    I feel your pain. During earlier lockdown i lost 80 pints of Woodfordes Bure gold.
    I moved the fermenters from their usual dark position as i was decorating and only noticed a few hours later that the sun was hitting them through the window.
    Result was totally skunked beer and £50 in 2 kits down the drain.
    Oh, well, you live and learn

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast