+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought & Homebrew Beers, Lagers, Porters etc

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Just started a winter/Christmas "special" - I am getting a bit cocky with my results so far, so starting to experiment a bit.

My brother in law had a glut of plums this year, so I stoned and boiled about 4lbs then strained the resulting liquor in to a "Simply" stout kit along with 1.5kg "Morgans" dark roasted malt. Made up to 23litres with boiled tap water (hopefully to flash off any chlorine) and left to cool overnight.

Measured the OG this morning before casting the yeast and had a bit of a shock - if the brew ferments down well, I should be looking at 6.5/7.0 % I hadn't really expected to get get much sugar from the plums.

The brew smells delightful though, looking forward to having a few mates around for a Christmas beer sampling session

Photos to follow.

Just double checked calculation with an online app: OG 1056, if Final gravity is 1010 then 6% - not quite so frightening
    sounds delightful. plums make great wine so no reason not to do beer i guess..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    sounds delightful. plums make great wine so no reason not to do beer i guess..
    I was inspired by "St Peter's" Plum porter (local Suffolk brewery, make some very nice beers and sold in a quite distinctive "flattened" bottle).
    The St Peter's has a slightly artificial twang to it, but still a pleasant brew - just wondered whether I could brew one with less of a "twang" (if you know what I mean )
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm guy.

Trying to brew some lager at the moment. I have not made what I would call a beer which tastes like a "proper lager" before.
    Previous attempts have been fine (and very drinkable ), but didn't have that very clear bright "bite" to them.

Having read up on brewing it seems that i have been fermenting too warm, not a specific lager yeast and not "lagering" (prolonged cold temperature rest on the yeast). Hopefully, I will be able to cover all these requirements with this batch - my log cabin is cold enough at the moment, so may as well make the most of the time of year.

I will update this sometime in spring
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Grant.

Trying to brew some lager at the moment. I have not made what I would call a beer which tastes like a "proper lager" before.
    Previous attempts have been fine (and very drinkable ), but didn't have that very clear bright "bite" to them.

Having read up on brewing it seems that i have been fermenting too warm, not a specific lager yeast and not "lagering" (prolonged cold temperature rest on the yeast). Hopefully, I will be able to cover all these requirements with this batch - my log cabin is cold enough at the moment, so may as well make the most of the time of year.

I will update this sometime in spring
    how did it go with the lager Guy?
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm guy.

Hi Grant

It has another few days "lagering" - keep at 1/2c for a month is usual, but I am only doing it for a week or so before bottling (making the most of the cold weather ).
    https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/rOqc2p417q/

Meanwhile, the plum porter that I made a while back is maturing quite nicely, although it has a bit of the same "twang" that the St Peter's plum porter has - must be some sort of characteristic of the plums (aparently, plums have high levels of Malic acid. I am hoping that longer maturation may take some of the edge off it. may be more to my taste by next Christmas )
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Grant.

Hi Grant

It has another few days "lagering" - keep at 1/2c for a month is usual, but I am only doing it for a week or so before bottling (making the most of the cold weather ).
    https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/rOqc2p417q/

Meanwhile, the plum porter that I made a while back is maturing quite nicely, although it has a bit of the same "twang" that the St Peter's plum porter has - must be some sort of characteristic of the plums (aparently, plums have high levels of Malic acid. I am hoping that longer maturation may take some of the edge off it. may be more to my taste by next Christmas )
    dodnt know that... i know it is in apples tho.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm guy.

First beer of the year outside (dog poo cleared, first cut of grass, despair at number of scorch marks in the lawn ).

It's a St Peter's "Golden ale", not a lager but it seems to have benefitted from "lagering". None of that home-brew "twang" and a very good head. Just got to try to keep some (or make some more) for summer.

Cheese is Ossau Iraty (Basque sheep's milk) with a bit of Tesco multi seeded sour dough - this is the life
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Grant.

looks great guy... the Ossau Iraty is one i like too..
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

That’s goals, right there Guy!

Luckily Syd much prefers to poo on a walk, although today’s challenge was he managed to finally work out how to climb onto the compost heap and started eating rotten vegetables! I think I managed to stop him in time before he swallowed anything, and it was mainly tomatoes and leaves I pulled out of his mouth, so hopefully nothing nasty like onions... it was at 11:00 this morning and he seems fine tonight so fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm guy.

Hopefully Syd will be fine, sounds like your going to have to stop putting onions on the heap - once he knows how to get there, he is bound to go back its what dogs do

Daphne has a thing about goose droppings at the reservoir, lots available at the moment
    Sony CDP XB930.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast