+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The biggest debate in the history of humankind -Tannoy crossovers original vs new.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

The main aspect to consider when deciding on replacing the original cross-over for a modified one, " Musicality" if a modified cross-over seemingly addresses shortfalls within the original cross-over design, then it has to do it while still maintaning the original Musicality of the speaker design, and not strangle the life and breath out of the speaker in the name of accuracy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
    That makes a lot of sense Lawrence ! Thanks for your opinion.

Denzil
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Dennis.

I had Tannoy 15s in Lancasters from'72 to '84, and rewired the I/P wires to the Xover. I was not that impressed with the quality of the Xover build, most of my own work, MoD trained was rather better However the basic design, choice of component values may well have been good, and others who measure them may know that.

I am surprised that you have not chosen the later HPD driver.

I'm Andrew.

+1 for Paul @ RFC he designed my 250 litre cabs and I got him to build a reference standard pair of XO-s. He's actually quite cheap when you consider what you get.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    The main aspect to consider when deciding on replacing the original cross-over for a modified one, " Musicality" if a modified cross-over seemingly addresses shortfalls within the original cross-over design, then it has to do it while still maintaning the original Musicality of the speaker design, and not strangle the life and breath out of the speaker in the name of accuracy!
    I fully agree. There's no harm in improving, provided the identity of the speaker is not sacrificed. So what you say is part of the question. Can we improve on the original crossovers without losing what Tannoy set out to do in the first place ?

Regards,

Denzil
    https://www.instagram.com/elsewheregoa

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    +1 for Paul @ RFC he designed my 250 litre cabs and I got him to build a reference standard pair of XO-s. He's actually quite cheap when you consider what you get.
    What's the price range ? Are there any reference links ? Website ?

Denzil

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I had Tannoy 15s in Lancasters from'72 to '84, and rewired the I/P wires to the Xover. I was not that impressed with the quality of the Xover build, most of my own work, MoD trained was rather better However the basic design, choice of component values may well have been good, and others who measure them may know that.

I am surprised that you have not chosen the later HPD driver.
    I inherited these speakers. So they chose me

I'm Martin.

What's the price range ? Are there any reference links ? Website ?

Denzil
    http://www.referencefidelitycomponents.co.uk/
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Denzil.

Thanks !

I just went through the website. It says "We can provide very accurate and top quality crossovers for all Tanoy Red, Silver, Monitor Gold and HPD Tannoy loudspeaker drivers (prices from £150 for complete re-capping and switch cleaning of existing Tannoy crossovers and from £250 upwards for new Tannoy crossovers)".

I'm wondering, since they offer both services, if they were presented with giving a candid opinion regarding a choice between refurbishment or supplying new crossovers, what would they recommend. And what would the difference be between the two options ? Would anyone have comparative graphs ?

Denzil

I'm Martin.

Thanks !

I just went through the website. It says "We can provide very accurate and top quality crossovers for all Tanoy Red, Silver, Monitor Gold and HPD Tannoy loudspeaker drivers (prices from £150 for complete re-capping and switch cleaning of existing Tannoy crossovers and from £250 upwards for new Tannoy crossovers)".

I'm wondering, since they offer both services, if they were presented with giving a candid opinion regarding a choice between refurbishment or supplying new crossovers, what would they recommend. And what would the difference be between the two options ? Would anyone have comparative graphs ?

Denzil
    e-mail Paul at RFC he'll give you advice on all the options. He'll have some graphs for you too.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

Thanks !

Denzil
    Just email him. He's very honest and straight forward.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast